News How to Install Windows 11 in a Virtual Machine

4freedomssake

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
I know nothing about virtual machines, so this may seem like a trivial question: But is there an exe file for you to run in Windows 10 to try Win 11? Or do I need to choose an OS when booting?

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
You'd think TPM would rate at least a mention here. Can you install 11 in a VM on a machine without TPM?
the answer is no. you still need it as windows 11 will look for it before it allows the install. i'm tinkering with it now to see if i can fake it. i have a tpm slot but do not have a module installed. gonna see if i can make a vm work anyway :)

i am working in virtual box at the moment but may try vmware pro as i also have that i can try.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
the answer is no. you still need it as windows 11 will look for it before it allows the install. i'm tinkering with it now to see if i can fake it. i have a tpm slot but do not have a module installed. gonna see if i can make a vm work anyway :)

i am working in virtual box at the moment but may try vmware pro as i also have that i can try.
Thanks, figured as much.

My point being the article is ridiculously not mentioning that tidbit. Given the hubbub over TPM recently, not mentioning it is a serious defect in the reporting

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
i turned on that AMD fTPM in my bios and it seems to work fine. installing the newest preview build now. got no missing tpm errors like i did the first time.

so seems like that is good enough. i forget what intel calls theirs but i guessing turning that on will also be good enough though i don't have an intel system to confirm.

edit: no issues at all installing it once i turned on that fTPM in BIOS. installed straight away in a virtualbox vm

Last edited:

ClapTrapper

Prominent
May 25, 2020
Big shout out to the great Forum Commentors!
I just glanced at the article and made a mental note to give Win11 a spin. Naturally I was going to use my favorite program-VirtualBox.
I didn't realize the author of the article couldn't get it to work under VBox.
Forum to the rescue!
The author should read the forum and update his article.

Jul 31, 2021
I also had to enable this or I wasn't able to install it.

Been playing around with the OS over the weekend I do like it some stuff was abit harder to find.

What version of VMware Player is that? I don't have those options, and from what I can tell from their web site, they're part of the paid Workstation Pro.

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I have a VirtualBox installation I hadn't touched in a while, with Win 10 2004. Updated VB, went into Win Up and right now it's downloading Win 11 Insider Preview corelease .132 - even though I'm not on the right Insider Program channel. That's got me baffled. Though I suspect that it won't install because this PC does not have TPM. What I actually want Win Up to do is just bring me up to 21H1. Oh, turning off Insider Program doesn't stop the download either even after I reboot the VM.

First thing that comes to mind - if WU is this buggy for Win 11 previews, I wonder just how buggy 11 is, and will be.

At any rate, suggestions to fix this would be appreciated.

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I have a VirtualBox installation I hadn't touched in a while, with Win 10 2004. Updated VB, went into Win Up and right now it's downloading Win 11 Insider Preview corelease .132 - even though I'm not on the right Insider Program channel. That's got me baffled. Though I suspect that it won't install because this PC does not have TPM. What I actually want Win Up to do is just bring me up to 21H1. Oh, turning off Insider Program doesn't stop the download either even after I reboot the VM.

First thing that comes to mind - if WU is this buggy for Win 11 previews, I wonder just how buggy 11 is, and will be.

At any rate, suggestions to fix this would be appreciated.
After 24 hours or so it finally switched back to trying to update Win 10.

Sep 7, 2021
Why didn't VirtualBox work?
I don't know why Tom's hardware couldn't get Virtual Box to work either - but assuming it was the same as me, it wouldn't work because The secure boot option wasn't available - so I was told that the Virtual machine didn't have the minimum requirements to run Windows 11. But I know my laptop DOES. Clicking the 'EIF option' simply meant Windows wouldn't load at all. I have had no problem using the free version of VM Workstation Pro 16. It just works following the instructions. No problem at all.....

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS