News How to Install Windows 11 on a Raspberry Pi 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoMorpheus

Commendable
Jun 8, 2021
Thanks for the guide, very interesting.

I wished that the Raspberry foundation release a Pi "Pro" device.

It should include a sata or nvme port and a beefier 4 core ARM SOC.

Yes, increase the price, it is called Pro for a reason.

mmarks9156

Prominent
May 23, 2020
I followed these instructions but keep getting a BOD upon booting anyone else?

Also, I am unable to select the Set Limit RAM to 3 GB to <Disabled> in Advanced Configuration but this already set.

TIA

Jul 8, 2021
The OS booted and took me into the Windows recovery screen.
I have tried both the windows 11 image available on the uup site and the results are exactly the same. It indicates some corruption in sys from what I remember. Sorry, I do not have the exact error string/message handy.

Any help is appreciated.

Jul 8, 2021
I have tried both the windows 11 image available on the uup site and the results are exactly the same. It indicates some corruption in sys from what I remember. Sorry, I do not have the exact error string/message handy.

Any help is appreciated.
I am also facing the same issue here. Image in the link below
Error image

Jul 13, 2021
I get an error report when running the uup_download_windows.cmd. It says that "SxSExtend.exe Can not be found".

Jul 14, 2021
Interesting all the errors that you're seeing. I followed the bouncing ball and it worked like a charm.
To the folks at TomsHardware = thanks for items like these.

Sep 20, 2021
The PC method worked for me, overclocking works using the normal method of editing config.txt, although I had to use gparted to change the flags on /boot , mount then edit config then change flags back. If there is an easier method please post.

rocwoof

Honorable
May 27, 2017
Looking as though some folks above are having failures with WoR method similar to mine. After several tries with multi-day installation attempts on an RPi 4 in a Kano touch screen (originally for RPi, not the new Kano Windows PC, which is another story re W11...) that invariably hung at one point or another on the 2nd day (or even 3rd day when I felt stubborn), I finally decided to try a brand new USB flash drive (SanDisk Dual Drive m3.0, 64GB) in place of the somewhat used USB drive that I had been trying to use, another SanDisk of some sort with 128GB, and it worked in several hours (all in the same day!!) from start to finish.

That's when I discovered the reality of the fine print caveat about the unsupported RPi built-in wifi (had been using direct ethernet off a switch to spare in-home wifi bandwidth), and 2 Wifi dongles that also failed for lack of Win11 ARM drivers, which had always worked with Linux on various Windows Intel PC's. Win 11 works OK on the RPi, but without wifi, so I am not much motivated to waste more of my time with it.

Last edited:

seithan

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Running setup #1 from a 9900k running Ubuntu, stack at :

Customizing the drive's config.txt, according to the CONFIG_TXT variable
Ejecting drive.

So i went ahead and tried method#2 on a W11 installation on the same machine. Download the file, unpacked and iso-ed it. Then used WoR to load the .iso but going to the "Select Drivers" screen, choosing "Use the latest packege [..]", i get the error:

"Something went wrong...
Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.json, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30adfe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies.
The System cannot file the file specified. "

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022

Any help is appreciated.
I was stucked on this step, but in step 16, if you change the advanced configuration GPT to MBR the system boots and you can config the initial setup, but the OS is limited to don't upgrade.
Now I intalled a new version the Microsoft obligate you to connect to continue install, and the ethernet driver don't work in this screen.

May 17, 2022
Perhaps the installation has changed over the years but I had no problem (May 2022) with Win 11 Pro on an early Pi 4B. Installation was smooth and even the long update ("we are getting you the latest version") went well and booted into Windows 11. There are limitations re no drivers for the Pi WiFi nor universal USB WiFi dongles. The USB seems limited but before I could investigate why a new big update was downloaded and installation started. That was the start of a big headache!

I had to leave the update running overnight as it was soooo slooow but next morning I was at the desktop. However Windows now for want of a better word 'stuttered' and was unuseable. It worked then stopped over and over. Interesting enough my SSD has a disk access light. When Task Manager showed disk usage at 100% the access light was off and once the light began to flash disk usage was down to 0 - 5% and the desktop sprang back to life. It looked to me like the kernel was waiting (hanging) for a response somewhere and then timed out and continued to run for a bit until it happened again. A little investigation and I configured secure boot in the 'BIOS' and thats when I got a message about a driver signing error and the blue screen as per above. Pressing F8 and then 7 turns off the driver signing check and allows the O/S to quickly boot and then works well.

I guess that M$ has hardened up its security and hence this issue with the latest update. Once booted it works fine however on each boot I have to press F8 and 7. One day I might let the Pi run overnight again without the secure boot set in BIOS (yes its that slow) and then put it into test mode.

I have installed Win 11 twice on two different SSDs and SATA adapters just in case but there is no difference.

I did get the Pi4B Win 11 pro connected via WiFi but I cheated and used an Ethernet-WiFi bridge. Sort of defeats the object though..

Fun no?

Status
Not open for further replies.