How to install Windows 7 on a separate hard drive on windows 8?

Jamfire

Honorable
May 4, 2013
Okay, so here's the deal, i've got an windows 8 pro w/ media center installed on my main HDD and and SSD that is caching as well. There is a game that i want to play that won't run on windows 8 so i bought a new hard drive thinking it would be super easy to just install windows 7 on the new hard drive and be able to dual boot; i was wrong. I have a bootable usb with windows 7 on it that i've used before with no problems but whether i try doing the install in windows 8 (like you normally do for upgrades) or if i boot the USB up when my computer first starts, i either get a blue screen saying something about usb's or an error during installation saying "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partitions." if anyone could help, that'd be amazing!

PS. yes, i did have i plugged into my usb 3.0 port when i first did the installation, then tried the usb 2.0 port. when i did that i got that "setup" error.

Heres what I did I got win 8 download I partion the drive off to give me more space for win 7 and then I install 8 on the drive that's partition so now when my pc boots I have the option of running 8 or 7 so just google it watch the u tube vids its not hard and you cand do the same you want 7 as your os as main and add 8 as a second os its out there on the web but its doable good luck.

TRENDING THREADS