How to install windows onto a new rig with used storage

Nelson Torres

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Simple question. I sold my original boot drive, upgraded my rig, kept my old hdd but it never had windows installed, just my games and files. How can I install windows onto it & keep all my folders intact? I can borrow another PC if necessary but i'd like to not have to. Also please go into detail about partitioning and formatting since when I made my original boot drive it lost a ton of gigs from poor partitioning on my part. Thanks!

Solution
The absolute best way is to start with a blank drive. Messing about with partitions and data you wish to keep during an install is always problematic.

The way *I* would do it is:
Obtain (borrow/buy) some other drive. Internal, external, whatever.
Boot up a Linux USB or DVD.
Copy everything off this drive to the borrowed one.
Disconnect everything, and install Windows on the drive you want.

Then, copy stuff back as desired.
Return the borrowed drive.
When messing with Partitions, there is no guarantee something won't go awry. Backing up the date would be recommended.

If you wish to repartition but keep data in place, you will probably need a working computer, a good defrag program that can consolidate free space, and a 3rd party partition program such as EaseUS Partition Master. Knowing your specific plan and drive size would affect recommendations.

USAFRet

Titan
The absolute best way is to start with a blank drive. Messing about with partitions and data you wish to keep during an install is always problematic.

The way *I* would do it is:
Obtain (borrow/buy) some other drive. Internal, external, whatever.
Boot up a Linux USB or DVD.
Copy everything off this drive to the borrowed one.
Disconnect everything, and install Windows on the drive you want.

Then, copy stuff back as desired.
Return the borrowed drive.

Solution