How to install xp when xp set up doesn't recognize my hard drive?

mikica24

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hello,
I have a problem with my laptop - can't instal win xp, bcz setup while installing says that it can't find my hard drive. I found some answers abt it on the internet, but they say I have to use floppy disk for it - my laptop doesn't have floppy drive. Is there any other way?

Is the drive detected in bios setup ?

mikica24

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Yes it is, and it's working good with current xp installed, but I need fresh instalation of xp... I found somewhere I need to change from SATA to IDE, but in this BIOS it's not possible, there's no such option. And also it was written if we can't make that change in BIOS then to use floppy disc with some data they provided on a link...

How about some specifics of your laptop, as well as the XP installation.
I have installed XP and other OS many times, and have never needed a floppy. Who are "They" that you refer to, and are they sending you a floppy , or what ? I just don't understand. :cry:

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Agree with my upstairs neighbour...More details/specs!

Anyways here's what I can think of:

1. Check twice is you don't have the hard drive option.
2. First thing to do, is set yout bios settings to their default. Just browse the bios a little and you should see an option to reset bios to default. the try instaling windows
3. Ok, if that's not working, and you can't find the hard setting in the bios, some laptops have other external menus, by pressing some other F keys. Usually at the splash screen of the manufacturer are told which key to press...
Anything related to the hard drive in there?
4. Try doing a clean install. Format you drive via the recovery console. Use your Windows cd, boot from it and when it loads press r key.
Wait a sec. You are prompted a Win instalation. Press 1 key (usually) and Enter
Then enter your password , if U have one, if not, just press Enter.
Type the following:

format Your_drive_letter_you_want_to_format:\ /q and press Enter

example: format C:\ /q
(q means quick format)

for more options type:
format /?
You can even select the format type you want : FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc.

Restart and try installing windows.

5.Depending on your hard drive you may need drivers downloaded (for hard drive) and copied to your instalation cd, then install

I'll provide more details if you want. Good luck! :hello: