[SOLVED] How to isolate Guest Network? Possible?

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I have spotty network knowledge so please forgive my clumsiness here. I currently use an Arris Cable Modem I own, and a R7000 router I own. I had thought I could setup a Guest network that would be isolated from the other WIFI Access Points on the router/network. The more I read, I get the idea this is impossible to do. So I may be asking the wrong question.

maybe another way to ask is: how do I allow a guest device to use my wifi to get to the internet while hiding every other device on my network from that one? I see a lot of people asking similar questions on the web, with similar imprecision! lol... Please be patient with us. I actually have other routers, but I see no point in mounting a second router if they all 'land' together at the Cable Modem... Is that correct?

Solution
yes, i understand the R7000 has a Guest function but it is not isolated. Anyone with a little knowledge or tool can find every other device on the other AP's, and apparently Netgear is a tad worse in that respect than others. The second way I posed the questions above was: "how do I allow a guest device to use my wifi/router to get to the internet while hiding every other device on my network from that one?"
If the default behavior for guest WIFI is not sufficient with the R7000 then you either have to change hardware or load alternate firmware. DD-WRT is available for the R7000. I haven't used it for isolated guest but it looks like it is possible to VLAN the guest. I chose to change hardware to Ubiquiti UniFI.

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
yes, i understand the R7000 has a Guest function but it is not isolated. Anyone with a little knowledge or tool can find every other device on the other AP's, and apparently Netgear is a tad worse in that respect than others. The second way I posed the questions above was: "how do I allow a guest device to use my wifi/router to get to the internet while hiding every other device on my network from that one?"

kanewolf

Titan
If the default behavior for guest WIFI is not sufficient with the R7000 then you either have to change hardware or load alternate firmware. DD-WRT is available for the R7000. I haven't used it for isolated guest but it looks like it is possible to VLAN the guest. I chose to change hardware to Ubiquiti UniFI.

Reactions: cognus
Solution

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
i had forgotten all about DD-WRT - haven't used it since WRT days but this is a great tip. I'll consult the WIKI
thx