How to keep CPU on permanent Turbo Boost (Intel i5-3337U)

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
I have an Acer laptop (Aspire V5-572P-6858) running an Intel HD 4000 on a 1080p touchscreen. I don't know if it's the CPU or the GPU, but I've been experiencing slow down when switching tabs, or having things load (probably not a GPU issue, perhaps the 4GB RAM). Computer is kept on "high performance" and always with a laptop cooler.

I'd like to keep the CPU clocked at a permanent 2.7ghz, which is what it is capable of when it runs on Turbo Boost. Not sure if this is "overlclocking" per se, as I'm not exactly pushing the speed past what the recommended specifications are.

Does anyone know how to do this? Battery life is not a concern as it is usually plugged in. Getting the "U" processor was an unfortunate mistake on my part as it seems to be more sluggish than the older i5-2xxxM processor that it replaced in a previous laptop (same amount of RAM).

Acer support has not been helpful.

Solution
Individual manufacturers get to decide what speed a U CPU will run at. These CPUs can be significantly throttled so you are right, it is wise to avoid them.

Definitely give ThrottleStop 6.00 a try. What it can do with your U processor depends on what options the bios has left unlocked. Some bios versions lock these CPUs up pretty tight. The warning message when you first start this program is aimed at the extreme overclockers. The maximum amount of Turbo Boost is locked in your processor so your CPU will be OK no matter how you set the program up. Contact the developer if you need more help.

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

I've done some google'ing and stumbled across ThrottleStop. Would that not work for U/laptop processors? I haven't installed it until I receive confirmation that it's safe to do so, or else I would have verified on my own.

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

I know that with 9 Chrome tabs open (one playing music from YouTube), and one MS Word document open, I'm running at 70% RAM utilization. In some cases, I'll just be randomly browsing the web and all of a sudden everything freezes for a second and then goes back to normal. When I check at those points, RAM utilization spikes to 100% and then drops back down to ~40-70%.

I have not actually checked what RAM utilization is like when I am not running any programs, but I think that would not be an accurate assessment of "use" either, no?

EDIT: When I changed songs on YouTube and let it play at 1080p, it was the processor that spiked to 100% as I had a short freeze (less than one second).

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
Individual manufacturers get to decide what speed a U CPU will run at. These CPUs can be significantly throttled so you are right, it is wise to avoid them.

Definitely give ThrottleStop 6.00 a try. What it can do with your U processor depends on what options the bios has left unlocked. Some bios versions lock these CPUs up pretty tight. The warning message when you first start this program is aimed at the extreme overclockers. The maximum amount of Turbo Boost is locked in your processor so your CPU will be OK no matter how you set the program up. Contact the developer if you need more help.

Solution

RoxasMactavish

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
well here's what i found
1. throttlestop doesn't turn up your cpu it will only HOLD IT DOWN.
2. using throttlestop doesn't change the fact that your cpu will go underpowered when it starts to detect a hotter temperature in your CPU (when you do anything basically) it just comes back to original state lower even since throttlestop stops it from going up
3. seriously don't get a U version it's basically your old laptop with a different name :)
4. try reducing RAM usage turn off some background apps and stuff you won't use anytime soon