Question How to keep my laptop cooler?

Aug 28, 2022
i9-12900k, 2070ti MSI Stealth GS66
Whenever I download a game or run multiple things my CPU gets up to 90c (never over 91c), and I know this is not healthy for it, especially for sustained work, gaming, or very large downloads. How can I help keep it cool without running the fans nearly maxed out? (When I do it starts making sounds) (It is not overclocked and never has been)

Dust is not an issue, it is sitting on a flat wood desk

What would you all recommend I do for this?

Whenever I download a game or run multiple things my CPU gets up to 90c (never over 91c), and I know this is not healthy for it, especially for sustained work, gaming, or very large downloads. How can I help keep it cool without running the fans nearly maxed out? (When I do it starts making sounds) (It is not overclocked and never has been)

Get a fan pad for the laptop to rest on

Reactions: KayKitty

PCCOOLER Laptop Cooling Pad, Portable Laptop Stand with 6 Angle Adjustable & 5 Quiet Blue LED Fans for 12-17.3 Inch Gaming Laptop, Laptop Cooler Built-in Dual USB Ports Support Mouse, Keyboard Device https://a.co/d/iQykN0l

Aug 28, 2022
Laptops are not desktops. 90°C is normal, remember you are at low wattage, 25w-45w etc and that's vastly different than 250w of power in a 12900k at 90°C.
Thank you! I really didn't know they were supposed to get that hot. Only really knew about temps in my R8 which ran 50s-60s and when I looked it up it said 90c would cause damage...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fan pads are iffy. Gotta get the right one for the job. Laptops used to be all about 1 thing, the battery. Older designs meant that the line input charged the battery only, the battery still powered everything. So when you had a big power draw like gaming, the battery was dumping Alot of juice, and being recharged at the same time. That meant the battery got seriously hot, which radiated heat into the laptop as well as deteriorating battery life expectancy and performance. So laptop coolers were designed to chill the battery, not exactly the cpu. Cpu cooling was a side affect of reduced 'ambient' internal temps, from reduced battery heat radiation.

A laptop with a solid back won't see as much from a chiller as one that's vented underneath, but a chiller plate design will work better than the 'fan exhaust' style, like the cold plate on an aircooler, to pull the heat and lower ambients, the fan style working better with a vented laptop.

Aug 28, 2022
Fan pads are iffy. Gotta get the right one for the job. Laptops used to be all about 1 thing, the battery. Older designs meant that the line input charged the battery only, the battery still powered everything. So when you had a big power draw like gaming, the battery was dumping Alot of juice, and being recharged at the same time. That meant the battery got seriously hot, which radiated heat into the laptop as well as deteriorating battery life expectancy and performance. So laptop coolers were designed to chill the battery, not exactly the cpu. Cpu cooling was a side affect of reduced 'ambient' internal temps, from reduced battery heat radiation.

A laptop with a solid back won't see as much from a chiller as one that's vented underneath, but a chiller plate design will work better than the 'fan exhaust' style, like the cold plate on an aircooler, to pull the heat and lower ambients, the fan style working better with a vented laptop.
It does have a fairly large intake on the bottom and top, and seems to vent on the sides and back. but its very thin and I'm not sure how hot the battery gets

TRENDING THREADS