How to keep my router connected through power surges

Clueless Guy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
During windy days, I can constantly see these small power surges in my house, the light bulbs flicker and certain electronic devices lose power for a second. I am assuming that this is because of trees being swept on the power line by wind, which explains why this happens during the warm seasons and not during winter (because of the leaves, or lack thereof).

I can imagine this is bad for all devices but, aside from the light bulbs, I wouldn't even notice it if it wasn't for the router. My PC and two monitors don't seem to care about the power fluctuation, the router however loses power long enough to reset itself and drop connection.

Are there any ways to prevent a router, using their meager 9/12 volts, from dropping connection due to these small power spikes, that is not a big 230V UPS?

How damaging can these surges be for devices who don't seem to notice them? (Monitors and PC) Should I buy a good UPS as soon as possible to save them?

Also out of curiosity, how comes the PC doesn't restart? Can it be the power unit has some surge protection built-in?

Solution
I would go to the source of the problem, the power service you receive.

It sounds to me like you need to get in contact with your power company and figure out why their service running into your house flickers with the wind. If there are trees interfering with the power lines, they need to be made aware. Big hazard. Power line tree trimmers is a profession that power companies typically outsource to contractors that work a circuit.
Ohhh my gosh, you need to look into the wirings connecting the outlet to your router, no winds can do it. Trust me, i got a smoke coming out of one of my outlets which were causing issues. If it was low voltages, the first thing that would show signs are fans, then lights and voltage changes shows with monitors, they would lose power inconsiderably. You are at risk, inform the electrician or authorities, whoever looks into such matters immediately. Surges can blow up a pc and can cause fires too. Pls be warned and look into the house wiring and more importantly, check whether grounding is properly installed on ypur property.

Clueless Guy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
Do you guys mean that these surges, only occurring when it's windy, are normal but a proper domestic wiring can counter them?

If so this is good (while still being bad) at least I can pay someone to solve it. Asking the authorities to deal with the problem (if it is outside my control) would take years...

theyeti87

Honorable
I would go to the source of the problem, the power service you receive.

It sounds to me like you need to get in contact with your power company and figure out why their service running into your house flickers with the wind. If there are trees interfering with the power lines, they need to be made aware. Big hazard. Power line tree trimmers is a profession that power companies typically outsource to contractors that work a circuit.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS