How to keep roommates off of my computer on home network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glendafrier

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I had placed four files on my desktop. Next day I come home from work the files are gone. Now, I use these files daily and I'm one of those people who always places docs on my desktop but I did start looking through other folders and saw under networking my roommates computer and my laptop. It hit me that my roommates must have been on my lappy via shared folders. Evidently, win7 automatically shares. Long story short I simply can not have my roommates on my laptop rummaging through papers.

I've been researching this issue over the last two weeks since I've discovered this. I guess tech makers assumed that if we are sharing the internet connection we are sharing resources in my circumstance it is not the case.

Is there a way to block them via mac id or something? I thought I turned sharing / network browsing off but what I've been reading over the interwebs is that sharing can't really be turned off.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
It is a simple matter to secure your computer from others. First create a good logon password, and insure that your screen saver requires that password to awaken.

Turn off all file sharing on all drives and folders on your machine, remove your roommates from the security tab by highlight and delete, disable homegroups, and you could also even change your workgroup name if you never need to share files with them other than by USB sticks when you are there to make them.

To change your workgroup, system control panel, advanced system settings, computer name tab, Change button, then change and save your workgroup name to something else.

I would also suggest changing your connection type from home to work or public.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.