How to know if I will be able to multi-partition new USB stick

Gustas

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hello,

Recently, I have bought a SanDisk Cruzer Switch 8GB USB stick. When I plugged it into my Windows machine, it showed up as a Local Disk and not as removable one. So, I though: "Great! i can install Ubuntu on that stick and have a portable OS in my pocket." And I succeeded in installing that with all the required partitions. Now I have a fully working Ubuntu installation (not a LiveUSB) on that SanDisk. But, the problem is - that USB stick is only 8GB and I'm running out of space. And you can't install programs on the other drive in Ubuntu (at least, I don't know a way to do it). I want to buy a bigger USB stick, but my question is: How can I know if I will be able to partition a flash drive I'm buying and will I be able to install Ubuntu on it just like on my 8GB Cruzer Switch?

Thanks in advance! Hope you can help and you may also share the models of the USB drives you were able to partition.

Solution
Hey there, Gustas.

Well it is possible to do so. Check out this thread: http://askubuntu.com/questions/170454/can-i-install-ubuntu-to-my-32-gb-usb-pen-drive. I think this is what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

TRENDING THREADS