Question How to know if my harddrive is faulty?

Oct 29, 2020
Ive been having bsods a lot, and i was wondering how do i know if my hdd is faulty or failing? or its just corrupted windows files from my copy or the hdd is corrupting system files, Ive tried crystaldiskinfo and it says my hdd is good, is it true or nah?

Lots of factors can cause blue screens...

If you have another drive or , better yet, an SSD you can full fresh reinstall (WIndows, required drivers, and all apps) to, and the problems persist, you will have likely eliminated the drive as the cause. If it is just a corruption glitch, perhaps a quick format/reinstall of everything fresh will cure it.

You might also try an overnight run of Memtest86 just to see if the RAM runs with stability at whatever speeds/timings you currently have selected...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can do a SMART test on the hdd, I believe it's in windows control panel under storage.

Can also run CHKDSK /F from the run command, it'll require a reboot to start.

For bsod, look in Windows Event Viewer, look for the red flagged critical errors. That'll give you a starting point as to where to start looking for what caused the bsod, not just guessing that it's the hdd.

Reactions: UshierBantilan
Oct 29, 2020
Faulty or not, what is your backup procedure like?
What do you mean, i have already lost all of my files because of 0xc000021a, but i justwanna know if my hdd is faulty or not if i need to change it or not, some people say i do, some people said i just need to reinstall windows but i did it like 4 times but im still getting bsods

USAFRet

Titan
What do you mean, i have already lost all of my files because of 0xc000021a, but i justwanna know if my hdd is faulty or not if i need to change it or not, some people say i do, some people said i just need to reinstall windows but i did it like 4 times but im still getting bsods
If it isn't working right...replace it.
If the drive is indeed the actual problem.

Oct 29, 2020
Okay thanks, I tried memtest, all rams seems okay, The bsods stop codes was Unexpected_store_exception (main), Critical_process_died (Sometimes) Kernel_data_inpage_error (Once) and some other bsods i dont remember, i tried to look on minidumps, On the last part i see Hardware_disk, I suspect the hdd but i dont know if all minidumps displays Hardware_disk on last part

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's an electronic gadget. Life expectancy is 0.1seconds to nobody knows how many years. Realistically you'd expect 4-5 years average usage from a hdd before the sectors go bad, but in front of those spinning discs is a control board that's entirely electronics circuitry.

Most hdds you ever run across, that board lasts longer than the discs, but there are exceptions due to physical component failures, soldering failures, voltage spikes or plain bad luck.

Oct 29, 2020
It's an electronic gadget. Life expectancy is 0.1seconds to nobody knows how many years. Realistically you'd expect 4-5 years average usage from a hdd before the sectors go bad, but in front of those spinning discs is a control board that's entirely electronics circuitry.

Most hdds you ever run across, that board lasts longer than the discs, but there are exceptions due to physical component failures, soldering failures, voltage spikes or plain bad luck.
Hey i have one more question, Do you think the ground on my pc case made the hdd faulty? Sometimes when i touch the casing, theres a ground on it

TRENDING THREADS