[SOLVED] how to know if ram is hynix or samsung die?

Feb 4, 2021
so i want to purchase this model of ram F4-3200C16D-16GVKB 16-18-18-38 . now QVL of my motherboard says that this ram is from samsung but when i searched on internet people have two opinions about it and many of them said this could also be hynix. so as i am very new in the field of computer building and have a very limited knowledge of ram compatibility if anyone can help me to understand that if i use hynix one instead of samsung will it make any changes to overall compatibility ?

my system so far
ryzen 9 5900x
asus tuf gaming x570+

Solution
thank you so much for your help i really do appreciate it , i just want to know if the ram turns out to be hynix and qvl mentions samsung, then will it cause my system to be incompatible with the ram?
The QVL is just the ram kits the manufacturer has tested on the motherboard for compatibility. Every kit ram kit on the QVL still has a chance it won't work, even if the kit hasn't been changed to use different components. There are too many different kits to test and they only test them as kits. You won't find information on the QVL for mixing modules from different kits, which is why everyone says to buy ram as a kit and to not mix them for the best compatibility.

There is no real way to know if the ram kit will have a problem...

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
The original poster said he wants to purchase the ram. I don't think he has it on hand to check the spd or use Thaiphoon burner. Anyway, I found a post on another site that may answer his question. It is an older post and the manufacturers can change the design of their ram if they want to, but it looks like it's most likely going to be Hynix MFR.
Is my Ram B-die? (G-skill Ripjaws F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) : Amd (reddit.com)

Reactions: flyinghorse12
G.Skill doesn't seem to change the chips as often as Corsair. That could be part of the why it seems more people have issues with Corsair ram than other brands, but it's also probably because more people are buying Corsair.

@flyinghorse12
Are you looking to buy Samsung B-die? If you just want good ram speed and don't care about overclocking the ram, almost any 2x8GB or 2x16GB 3600 CL16 kit will be fine for most users. Cheaper 3600 CL18 would probably be fine for most users as well.

Reactions: flyinghorse12
Feb 4, 2021
The original poster said he wants to purchase the ram. I don't think he has it on hand to check the spd or use Thaiphoon burner. Anyway, I found a post on another site that may answer his question. It is an older post and the manufacturers can change the design of their ram if they want to, but it looks like it's most likely going to be Hynix MFR.
G.Skill doesn't seem to change the chips as often as Corsair. That could be part of the why it seems more people have issues with Corsair ram than other brands, but it's also probably because more people are buying Corsair.

@flyinghorse12
Are you looking to buy Samsung B-die? If you just want good ram speed and don't care about overclocking the ram, almost any 2x8GB or 2x16GB 3600 CL16 kit will be fine for most users. Cheaper 3600 CL18 would probably be fine for most users as well.
thank you so much for your help i really do appreciate it , i just want to know if the ram turns out to be hynix and qvl mentions samsung, then will it cause my system to be incompatible with the ram?

The OP has edited their first post. My answer is based on that.

The QVL is just the ram kits the manufacturer has tested on the motherboard for compatibility. Every kit ram kit on the QVL still has a chance it won't work, even if the kit hasn't been changed to use different components. There are too many different kits to test and they only test them as kits. You won't find information on the QVL for mixing modules from different kits, which is why everyone says to buy ram as a kit and to not mix them for the best compatibility.

There is no real way to know if the ram kit will have a problem until you install it and it's more likely to work than not, so really you shouldn't worry about it. As an example, I bought two kits of the "same" ram for my motherboard and had to update the bios to the newest version at the time to get all four modules working properly.

If you buy the ram kit you want, the worst that will happen is the ram doesn't work at it's advertised spec without tweaking the settings or updating the bios. If it doesn't work at all you will need to return it for exchange with a different kit or a refund, so make sure you can at least be refunded before you make the purchase. The manufacturer might even honor a refund or exchange if the retailer won't, but don't count on that.

Solution