How to know if the HDMI cable is 1.3 or 1.4

tonklar22

Commendable
Nov 3, 2017
How do you know it? I went on an online website and bought a 1m hdmi cable, but it doesn't specify if it's 1.3. or 1.4 because it came in a plastic wrap. i think 1 m is perfect and if longer than that it can't fit my desk. How to I know? Is there a program where I can check? I dont want to get dvi or display port becasue my LG monitor only can have freesync thorough HDMI

HDMI cables are not classified by "version"; they use a different system because (basically) each HDMI cable class spans multiple versions.

High Speed HDMI Cables are certified to work at 10.2 Gbit/s (340 MHz), which is the maximum bandwidth of HDMI 1.3, 1.3a, 1.4, 1.4a, and 1.4b. There are no separate "HDMI 1.3 cables" or "HDMI 1.4 cables" or "HDMI 1.4b cables".

Premium High Speed HDMI Cables are certified to work at 18.0 Gbit/s (600 MHz) which is the maximum bandwidth of HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, and 2.0b. There are no separate "HDMI 2.0 cables" or "HDMI 2.0b" cables.

tonklar22

Commendable
Nov 3, 2017

It's not called "versions"? Here's where i got the information. I worried that if the hdmi is 1.3 it will not support 3d
http://whysoblu.com/hdmi-101-the-truth-about-hdmi-cables/

tonklar22

Commendable
Nov 3, 2017

but the 1.3 doesn't support 3d though. here's where i got the information.
http://whysoblu.com/hdmi-101-the-truth-about-hdmi-cables/

Anyway, how do i check it if it's 1.3 or 1.4. Is there an app for that?

Stay away from disreputable sites like that. Anyone can make a site and it doesn't mean its info is true. The fact that he talks about 1.3 cables makes him lose all credibility as they don't exist. As mentioned there is no cable 1.3 or 1.4 versions. Any high speed cable will support 1.3 and 1.4 as mentioned. Your monitor is not 3d as it is not 120hz+. So it supports 1080p in any way your monitor can run. The only way to find out with an unknown cable is to connect it to a monitor/tv that is 4k or 120hz. That's assuming your gpu is also capable.

As I just said, there are no separate "1.3" or "1.4" cables. That doesn't exist.

The version doesn't come from the cable, it comes from the HDMI devices on each end. Different HDMI cables may have different limits on how much bandwidth they can handle (hence the speed certifications, High Speed, etc.). But besides that, the cable does not affect any other feature support. Any HDMI 2.0 feature will work even over the very first HDMI cables made over a decade ago except for high-bandwidth formats like 4K. (there is one exception, inline ethernet and ARC do require a "with Ethernet" HDMI cable to work).

Anything that says cables have actual versions is completely wrong, in fact labeling cables as "HDMI 1.3 cable" or "HDMI 1.4 cable" has been banned by the HDMI licensing group and is considered a violation of the HDMI licensing agreement, specifically to try to avoid people thinking they need an "HDMI 1.4 cable" to support all the new features in HDMI 1.4.