[SOLVED] How to know if your power supply is faulty?

Mark Mallards

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
20
0
10,510
0
I own a seasonic m12 II evo bronze 750w fully modular psu. Its been about 4-5 years since I bought it. The problem is that im seeing a spark right in the on/off switch when I turn it on. I think that the power supply is grounded? My motherboard indicates a light that power is coming to the motherboard but the pc wont start with no display and keeps on cycling with the fans on and off.


Is it normal to see that spark? im going to build another pc and think that I may use the same PSU.
Is there any kind of way I can assure that my PSU is still safe to use.

Thanks for anyone who can help me
 

Juular

Upstanding
Mar 14, 2020
362
73
290
14
The spark may indicate that power switch have worn out. Did you turn off the PSU usiang a power switch frequently ? You're not meant to do that. Just keep it online all the time. The spark is there is literally just because PSU is working, there are capacitors in it that need to charge when it goes online. If it still works good otherwise - keep it, it's a good PSU.
 

DSzymborski

Champion
Moderator
I own a seasonic m12 II evo bronze 750w fully modular psu. Its been about 4-5 years since I bought it. The problem is that im seeing a spark right in the on/off switch when I turn it on. I think that the power supply is grounded? My motherboard indicates a light that power is coming to the motherboard but the pc wont start with no display and keeps on cycling with the fans on and off.


Is it normal to see that spark? im going to build another pc and think that I may use the same PSU.
Is there any kind of way I can assure that my PSU is still safe to use.

Thanks for anyone who can help me
It is never, ever normal to see a spark when turning on a power supply and unless you're extremely experienced at dealing with these types of issues, the power supply should never be connected to a PC again. RMA if it's under warranty, replace if it's not.
 

Mark Mallards

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
20
0
10,510
0
It is never, ever normal to see a spark when turning on a power supply and unless you're extremely experienced at dealing with these types of issues, the power supply should never be connected to a PC again. RMA if it's under warranty, replace if it's not.
Can I do some test to know if it is really faulty? what kind of methods should I do?
 

Mark Mallards

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
20
0
10,510
0
I own a seasonic m12 II evo bronze 750w fully modular psu. Its been about 4-5 years since I bought it. The problem is that im seeing a spark right in the on/off switch when I turn it on. I think that the power supply is grounded? My motherboard indicates a light that power is coming to the motherboard but the pc wont start with no display and keeps on cycling with the fans on and off.


Is it normal to see that spark? im going to build another pc and think that I may use the same PSU.
Is there any kind of way I can assure that my PSU is still safe to use.

Thanks for anyone who can help me
UPDATE: I tried the paper clip PSU test. and it worked! the fans are spinning and no sparks where created near the on/off switch of the psu
 

DSzymborski

Champion
Moderator
UPDATE: I tried the paper clip PSU test. and it worked! the fans are spinning and no sparks where created near the on/off switch of the psu
This doesn't mean anything. The paper clip PSU test only can verify is something is completely dead, not if something's functional or safe.

Unless you have training in diagnosing and repairing these kinds of things, sparks at any time mean the power supply can never, ever be trusted again. These things don't just happen randomly; if there were sparks where there should not have been sparks, there was an exact reason for it and without knowing the exact reason, you can't use the PSU if you care about the safety of your equipment and home.
 

Mark Mallards

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
20
0
10,510
0
This doesn't mean anything. The paper clip PSU test only can verify is something is completely dead, not if something's functional or safe.

Unless you have training in diagnosing and repairing these kinds of things, sparks at any time mean the power supply can never, ever be trusted again. These things don't just happen randomly; if there were sparks where there should not have been sparks, there was an exact reason for it and without knowing the exact reason, you can't use the PSU if you care about the safety of your equipment and home.
I guess its time to put my PSU into rest. thank you so much for your suggestions!
 

Juular

Upstanding
Mar 14, 2020
362
73
290
14
The spark may indicate that power switch have worn out. Did you turn off the PSU usiang a power switch frequently ? You're not meant to do that. Just keep it online all the time. The spark is there is literally just because PSU is working, there are capacitors in it that need to charge when it goes online. If it still works good otherwise - keep it, it's a good PSU.
 

Mark Mallards

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
20
0
10,510
0
The spark may indicate that power switch have worn out. Did you turn off the PSU usiang a power switch frequently ? You're not meant to do that. Just keep it online all the time. The spark is there is literally just because PSU is working, there are capacitors in it that need to charge when it goes online. If it still works good otherwise - keep it, it's a good PSU.
Yes because I feel that after you plugged in the cord you should turn on the switch. So every time I turn it off, I also switch off the switch in the power supply.
 

NightHawkRMX

Illustrious
If anything the spark from the switch would be more dangerous than leaving the PSU plugged in.

While I have never seen a spark from a PSU switch, I could see why it would happen, especially in 240v countries.

Don't flip the switch all of the time. There should not be any risk of fire from leaving your PC plugged in and PSU on. It may draw a little power from the standby rails and such, but I still can't think of a good reason not to leave it plugged in with switch on.
 
Reactions: Mark Mallards

Mark Mallards

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
20
0
10,510
0
And it will keep sparking until:

  • The switch wears out.
  • The spark jumps out of the PSU housing and sets your house on fire.
Seriously. Stop unplugging the PSU every night. If you're worried about surges, etc. then you should be asking us what kind of surge protection you should buy.
Could you give me some instances on when should I turn off the button on the back of my psu? can you give me some advice on that please thankyou!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS