Question How to know if your RAM is faulty?

Jun 14, 2020
The issue is kinda weird because two weeks ago I was using my own RAM which was working fine for the past 4 months, but I wasn't satisfied with the timings so I bought a Corsair 3200MHz 2x8GB CL16.
thus my full spec is:
R5 2600
ASRock B450 Pro 4
1660 Super
Corsair PC25600 2x8GB CL16
be quiet! u9 500w 80+ Bronze

Lately I've been crashing a looooot. It could happen like 5 times in a day, and BSODs like 2 or 3 times. (12+ hrs gaming). the BSODs have different error code and the one that's frequently popped up is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

I've done the "scan" thing on command prompt, I've also done MemoryDiagnostic, and I've also got everything up-to-date on my Windows update. Still nothing.

I haven't tried re-installing my OS because I don't know how to do that, and I can't use MemTest86 because I don't have CD ROM/USB Drive.

But at this point I'm almost convinced the problem is just bad RAM.. any thoughts??

Idk what should I do??

The issue is kinda weird because two weeks ago I was using my own RAM which was working fine for the past 4 months, but I wasn't satisfied with the timings so I bought a Corsair 3200MHz 2x8GB CL16.
thus my full spec is:
R5 2600
ASRock B450 Pro 4
1660 Super
Corsair PC25600 2x8GB CL16
be quiet! u9 500w 80+ Bronze

Lately I've been crashing a looooot. It could happen like 5 times in a day, and BSODs like 2 or 3 times. (12+ hrs gaming). the BSODs have different error code and the one that's frequently popped up is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

I've done the "scan" thing on command prompt, I've also done MemoryDiagnostic, and I've also got everything up-to-date on my Windows update. Still nothing.

I haven't tried re-installing my OS because I don't know how to do that, and I can't use MemTest86 because I don't have CD ROM/USB Drive.

But at this point I'm almost convinced the problem is just bad RAM.. any thoughts??

Idk what should I do??
You can use memtest64 instead, that doesn't need a CD or USB, it runs in Windows itself.

Jun 14, 2020
You can use memtest64 instead, that doesn't need a CD or USB, it runs in Windows itself.
Thank you for this. I used the software and I did some test.
First when I used it, I set it to stop after 8 loops. It yielded 7 errors.
Then, I removed the 2nd slot RAM and tested only the 4th slot RAM.
4 loops, zero errors. then another 4 loops, still zero errors.
Then I removed the 4th slot and installed the 2nd slot and did the same test, first 4 loops had zero errors, and the second 4 loops also had zero errors.

However, I installed both again, and ran 8 loops test, at the final loop there was one error.
Am I doing this wrong? Because I don't know which stick is faulty. Should I do longer individual tests to see which stick is faulty? I'm a bit concerned because I don't want to damage any other component such as my SSD and CPU while doing so.

Thank you for this. I used the software and I did some test.
First when I used it, I set it to stop after 8 loops. It yielded 7 errors.
Then, I removed the 2nd slot RAM and tested only the 4th slot RAM.
4 loops, zero errors. then another 4 loops, still zero errors.
Then I removed the 4th slot and installed the 2nd slot and did the same test, first 4 loops had zero errors, and the second 4 loops also had zero errors.

However, I installed both again, and ran 8 loops test, at the final loop there was one error.
Am I doing this wrong? Because I don't know which stick is faulty. Should I do longer individual tests to see which stick is faulty? I'm a bit concerned because I don't want to damage any other component such as my SSD and CPU while doing so.
It seems that the issue occurs only when both RAM sticks are installed(you have done the test correctly), so I would suggest getting a replacement for the new kit, since the two sticks are not working well together. You could try running them at lower speed, but then that would make the upgrade useless. You can also try updating to a newer BIOS since newer BIOS have better RAM compatibility, but if none of those work you should definitely send the new kit back.

Jun 14, 2020
It seems that the issue occurs only when both RAM sticks are installed(you have done the test correctly), so I would suggest getting a replacement for the new kit, since the two sticks are not working well together. You could try running them at lower speed, but then that would make the upgrade useless. You can also try updating to a newer BIOS since newer BIOS have better RAM compatibility, but if none of those work you should definitely send the new kit back.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Mind if I ask more questions? I currently have a BIOS ver. of 3.60 on the website for the BIOS of ASRock B450 Pro 4 vers. 4.10, there is a warning that said:
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

is there something I have to worry about regarding these warnings? I know a lot of people say that updating BIOS means you're at risk of breaking your motherboard if the power goes out during the process etc.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Mind if I ask more questions? I currently have a BIOS ver. of 3.60 on the website for the BIOS of ASRock B450 Pro 4 vers. 4.10, there is a warning that said:
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

is there something I have to worry about regarding these warnings? I know a lot of people say that updating BIOS means you're at risk of breaking your motherboard if the power goes out during the process etc.
Don' t update to that version, it is meant for Ryzen 3000 series processors. Update to the last BIOS that does not have this warning, if you are already at that then no need to update BIOS. And yes, if a BIOS update is interrupted it can possibly brick your motherboard.