How to know what parts are compatible with upgrading?

Flyzeh19

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017
A few years ago I brought a prebuilt gaming PC, this has been good for me and managed to run the games I've wanted to play. I am now starting to notice its slowing down and getting lower frames which is why I'mnow looking into upgrading it. I've never replaced components before but keen to learn how to do it which is another reason I want to upgrade.

My main question which may seem kind of vague is how to know what parts will be compatible?

I currently have an i5-4460 processor with a GTX 960, 8gb ram which id like to upgrade to a i7, GTX 1070, Add another 8gb of RAM and a SSD. What things should I look out for whilst picking parts?

Thanks.

Solution

As far as RAM is concerned I strongly recommend a brand new dual channel kit. If you...

As far as RAM is concerned I strongly recommend a brand new dual channel kit. If you just have to buy an 8GB kit make sure it is the same brand, speed(1866MHz is but one example), voltage(1.5V usually) and timing(CL 10?) needs to be exactly the same.

The 850 Evo is nice, popular and dependable.

The GTX 1070 should be anywhere froom $379 up to about $500. Because of cryptocurrency and those who mine it GFX card prices have spiked dramatically without a decline in site. With Japan regulating the crash in China it definitely is making some huge waves.

The least expensive 1080 is $499.

2018_PC.png
is what I have. It handles VR and regular gaming with ease. I enable 2.5SS with the Vive. I max out the settings and get to gaming. Simple. The least expensive 1080 Ti is $699. The EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid has a MSRP of $859. I got it for $10 less.

Solution

Flyzeh19

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017

Thanks for the help!!