[SOLVED] How to know whether my laptop has slot for SSD and whether it is compatible with booting from the SSD?

SS123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
I am planning to buy a SSD as my laptop has become slow, especially the booting. My laptop has 1TB HDD. I want to know whether I can install an extra SSD. I used the Crucial software that detects the system compatibility. It showed I had a M.2. slot for SSD, but I also came to know that the default slot for M.2. in laptops is occupied by the Wifi card. So, how do I know if I have an extra M.2. slot? Also, if I don't have the M.2. slot, I want to know if I can replace my optical drive with a Sata SSD. Will my laptop be able to boot from that? also, what size of SSD would be good? I am on a tight budget, I use my laptop for programming and gaming. I have a few heavy programs like Anaconda, CUDA, etc. and few games. So would 250GB be enough? My laptop specifications are:
Model: HP Pavilion 15-au620tx
Processor: Intel i5 7th Gen
RAM: 8GB DDR4
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 940mx (2GB dedicated)
Storage: HDD 1TB

Here is an image of the inside of my laptop:
IMG-13122019-203736.jpg

Please take a look at it and tell if I have an extra M2 slot and if I can replace CD drive with Sata.

Solution
No. it is not underneath either. I asked a HP service person. they told me that the manual is a general manual for all laptops in the Pavilion series, so, some things may or may not be present in the laptop. I read the manual carefully, the starting pages tell that the specifications may vary from model to model, it just tells all the specifications the Pavilion series has in general. So, mine doesn't have extra M.2 slot. so I think I will have to replace my optical drive.
I suggest you get a SATA 2.5" SSD and move the HDD to the optical bay*, if you want to keep it.
*You will need to get a compatible Optical Bay to HDD Caddy.

SS123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
From that pic, I see no M.2 port.

And the spec sheet does not mention any:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05306751

I would just replace the existing HDD with a 1TB SATA SSD.
I need my HDD as it has important data and I don't have the budget to buy a 1TB SSD to transfer it all. So, can I replace my optical drive as I have never used it and don't think I will ever use it? if yes, then can I boot from it and also please tell me the basic replacement procedure.

USAFRet

Titan
I need my HDD as it has important data and I don't have the budget to buy a 1TB SSD to transfer it all. So, can I replace my optical drive as I have never used it and don't think I will ever use it? if yes, then can I boot from it and also please tell me the basic replacement procedure.
"I don't have the budget to buy a 1TB SSD" also means you have no space for backups?
:non:

I am unsure about the CD OUT, SSD IN possibility or procedure. Or if it would be bootable.
Or the actual speed of that interface. Often, the CD/DVD interface is not SATA III.

SS123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
"I don't have the budget to buy a 1TB SSD" also means you have no space for backups?
:non:

I am unsure about the CD OUT, SSD IN possibility or procedure. Or if it would be bootable.
Or the actual speed of that interface. Often, the CD/DVD interface is not SATA III.
I have an external 1TB hdd for back up. I used a software to check my cd drive specs. it shows the drive is ATAPI. do you know about it and if it is SATA?

SS123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
Yes it is SATA, but what level SATA? Unknown.
I used HWiNFO64. It is showing under SATA AHCI Controller, in SATA Host controller, the interface supported is Gen 3 6gbps. and the no. of ports is shown 3. But I don't know where the 3rd port is. One has the HDD, other has the CD drive, where is the 3rd port? can you see it in the image? also, does the information tell the SATA is SATA 3?

USAFRet

Titan
I used HWiNFO64. It is showing under SATA AHCI Controller, in SATA Host controller, the interface supported is Gen 3 6gbps. and the no. of ports is shown 3. But I don't know where the 3rd port is. One has the HDD, other has the CD drive, where is the 3rd port? can you see it in the image? also, does the information tell the SATA is SATA 3?
"6gbps " indicates SATA III, but that might be just for the existing hard drive.
And I do not see another port capable of holding a drive of any type.

Maybe if you removed the WiFi card from the mSATA port. Maybe.

SS123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
"6gbps " indicates SATA III, but that might be just for the existing hard drive.
And I do not see another port capable of holding a drive of any type.

Maybe if you removed the WiFi card from the mSATA port. Maybe.
do you know anyway to find out whether the cd drive is sata 3 for sure?

SS123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
I am planning to install a new M.2 SSD into my laptop. I looked up my laptop manual and it says my laptop has 2 M.2. slots, one for the WLAN and one for SSD. But I opened my laptop and am unable to find the second slot. I can only see the one with the WiFi card in it. How do I locate the other? Here is the manual:
Manual
Here is the image of the inside of my laptop:

IMG-13122019-203736.jpg

can anyone please help me locate the M.2. slot? the manual specifies the slot is M.2 SATA 3.

from your manual the best shot is on pg 33.
it should be right next to the HDD - (along the bottom left edge)

I am planning to install a new M.2 SSD into my laptop. I looked up my laptop manual and it says my laptop has 2 M.2. slots, one for the WLAN and one for SSD. But I opened my laptop and am unable to find the second slot. I can only see the one with the WiFi card in it. How do I locate the other? Here is the manual:
Manual
Here is the image of the inside of my laptop:

IMG-13122019-203736.jpg

can anyone please help me locate the M.2. slot? the manual specifies the slot is M.2 SATA 3.

SS123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
pg 33 of your manual seems to show it by the HDD. There does appear to be an m.2 screw hole - is it underneath the circuit board?
No. it is not underneath either. I asked a HP service person. they told me that the manual is a general manual for all laptops in the Pavilion series, so, some things may or may not be present in the laptop. I read the manual carefully, the starting pages tell that the specifications may vary from model to model, it just tells all the specifications the Pavilion series has in general. So, mine doesn't have extra M.2 slot. so I think I will have to replace my optical drive.

I suggest you get a SATA 2.5" SSD and move the HDD to the optical bay*, if you want to keep it.
*You will need to get a compatible Optical Bay to HDD Caddy.

Solution