[SOLVED] How to know which component is broken

halmahera

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Yesterday I play game on my PC while raining.
Suddenly thunder strike quite close to my house and I believe I hear an explosion.
I think a short circuit just happened.
I am sure it disrupting my PC then turn it off.
I plug the power cable off the wall. I leave it and back after the rain gone.
Turns out my monitor is fine but my PC is dead, zero activity when I press the power switch.
Both my monitor and PC power plug to a same source.

At first I thought it is only my power supply dead.
Luckily I have a super old LGA775 motherboard.
I plug my PSU the the motherboard with no processor and memory.
And it works, therefore I believe my PSU is safe.

No I assume that my motherboard is dead.
Before I but a replacement, of course I need to know about the other component plugged to the motherboard.
I can only hope the other component is fine, processor, memory and storage drives.
I have no one with similar system to test which one of my component is dead and which one is alive.

1. Without testing them all, can you guys tell (or guess) me whether it is only my motherboard that is dead or the other component too??
  2. With no other similar system to test my component, is it possible for me to find out which component is dead and which one is alive?? I can not think of any way to do it.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
Without testing them all, can you guys tell me whether it is only my motherboard that is dead or the other component too??
that's never going to happen!

With no other similar system to test my component, is it possible for me to find out which component is dead and which one is alive??
that's not happening either sine you will need to rule out what's faulty or damaged.

You could take a magnifying glass and inspect every component on your build but you will still need to tear down the build to inspect.

Lutfij

Titan
Without testing them all, can you guys tell me whether it is only my motherboard that is dead or the other component too??

With no other similar system to test my component, is it possible for me to find out which component is dead and which one is alive??
that's not happening either sine you will need to rule out what's faulty or damaged.

You could take a magnifying glass and inspect every component on your build but you will still need to tear down the build to inspect.

Reactions: halmahera
Solution

halmahera

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Thanks for the reply.

For question number 1, if I ask you to guess on my case, whats your guess about my component? do you think the processor is still alive?

Mar 4, 2021
Well the processor could be alive but I dont know. It almost seems its not. It could also be a power button. Also when you get this fixed, use a surge protector as you just encountered a nearby surge

Reactions: halmahera

Lutfij

Titan
You're wasting time guessing when you can easily use that time to diagnose the issue, part by part. The fact that you don't have an UPS/surge protector is what lead you to this point. if you heard thunder in the distance, then you should've shut down the system and been patient for the storm to blow over.