[SOLVED] How to limit CPU max frequency ?

drjackool

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Hi
My mobo is maximus x hero wifi and cpu is 8700k. in game load the cpu temperature goes to 65° c at max an I want to limit the maximum frequency to reduce temperature. I looking the bios settings but couldn't find proper item. Where is it?
Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
What cooler are you working with to cool that processor? You might want to also share your voltages and settings within BIOS settings to see if you've got some area where tweaking can grant you some thermal benefits. how's the airflow in your case? Speaking of case, what is the make and model of your chassis? You might want to mention the parts in your build and not ask people to look at your sig space. Why? Because sig space specs can and will change over time. When that does happen, suggestions made will be irrelevant.

FYI, you're on an unlocked processor, you shouldn't be limiting it's clocks, more like tweaking it's voltages and offsets. Ambient room air temps?

drjackool

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
What cooler are you working with to cool that processor? You might want to also share your voltages and settings within BIOS settings to see if you've got some area where tweaking can grant you some thermal benefits. how's the airflow in your case? Speaking of case, what is the make and model of your chassis? You might want to mention the parts in your build and not ask people to look at your sig space. Why? Because sig space specs can and will change over time. When that does happen, suggestions made will be irrelevant.

FYI, you're on an unlocked processor, you shouldn't be limiting it's clocks, more like tweaking it's voltages and offsets. Ambient room air temps?
I use a 240 cooler master water cooler and corsair crystal 570x with 6 LL fans and 3200MHz gskill ram XMP enabled. When I changed the position of the radiator from front of case to top (to reduce whole case temp) and temperature 6 ° increased. ( in front max temp was 59 and in top max temp is 65) also my room temp is about 38 °.
my graphic is Strix 2080oc in performance mode.

Last edited: