Question How to limit GPU usage ?

Aug 27, 2023
Hi All,
i got a question regarding prioritizing/limiting gpu usage. While i play games sometimes the lady of the house wants to watch a movie. now for some reason my gpu goes to 100% (vrel cap) and makes the movie stutter. when i alt+tab out it runs smooth. So i know its gpu related.
Already tried to lower fps, lower settings but that is not working. So i was thinking.
1: can i prioritize the GPU for the streaming program
2: can i limit the gpu power for that game so that i have some headroom for the streaming tool?

Aug 27, 2023
amd ryzen I9 5850 (stock) (under load 41°C)
gigaybyte 2080 OC (stock)
proart X570 wifi
W11
XFX Pro 1000W PSU
64GB Gskill 3800 CL14 (running at 3600mhz)
Samsung 840 SSD

Running windows perfermonce power plan

Aug 27, 2023
oh, sorry misunderstood.
the game/game audio is sended ingame to usb audio device (headset)
netflix/netflix audio is sended to the std windows audio output device, tv audio through HDMI

start task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) or right click on the bar on the bottom of the screen and run it from there.
Go to the tab called details.
Find the netflix exe or the exe of the browser it uses, it would help if it's the only tab running in the browser because every tab is it's own exe.
Right click and choose set priority and put it on real-time.

If your game gobbles up too much bandwidth it might just stutter because it can't get enough info fast enough.
Some mobos or routers have network monitoring settings to prioritize games or other apps, you could look into that.

Aug 27, 2023
start task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) or right click on the bar on the bottom of the screen and run it from there.
Find the netflix exe or the exe of the browser it uses, it would help if it's the only tab running in the browser because every tab is it's own exe.

If your game gobbles up too much bandwidth it might just stutter because it can't get enough info fast enough.
Some mobos or routers have network monitoring settings to prioritize games or other apps, you could look into that.
thank you for the tip. will try it. will be back when tested

Aug 27, 2023

it was a good try but this doesnt work either :(

Sep 4, 2023
Hi, Bro. My suggestion: try activate Vertical Sync in game.
The Vsync limit your fps and, consequently, limit the gpu and gpu usage.

OBS:
Vsync limits fps to monitor refresh rate.

if your monitor has a high refresh rate (240hz, 360hz), vsync may become ineffective.

Try activating Vsync, if it doesn't have the intended effect, you come back and we'll try a step 2.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023
Hi, Bro. My suggestion: try activate Vertical Sync in game.
The Vsync limit your fps and, consequently, limit the gpu and gpu usage.

OBS:
Vsync limits fps to monitor refresh rate.

if your monitor has a high refresh rate (240hz, 360hz), vsync may become ineffective.

Try activating Vsync, if it doesn't have the intended effect, you come back and we'll try a step 2.
alrighty, my monitor is a 240 but limited to 120. when tried i will come back to you.

thx

TRENDING THREADS