How to limit internet bandwith on a PC

Shadow777

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Hi , i need help limiting internet speed on another pc thats in my own network, the thing is ive seen alot of forums were they say to limit the bandwith from the modem but isnt there any option or program to to limit it PC-side with a hidden program or settings and without touching the modem's settings?, i currently have 1MBPS internet connection and i want to limit the pc's bandwith to 40Kbps so i can always assure myself 60kpbs, the PC i want to limit has windows XP

Solution
There are a number of tools that are designed to limit a machine. Most you will find if you search for "windows limit network by process". I have not used these tools since the XP days so I can not recommend one and forget what I actually used. I used one to limit the amount of data a game could download, that patches were huge and I had a very small connection at the time. There may have been a option to limit all processes which is what you want. I don't know if there is a way to hide this from person.

You might also try the software that does parental controls such as K9 but I don't know if it can limit the speed or just the times.

You are going to have a massive issue trying to limit it that slow even if you really meant...
There are a number of tools that are designed to limit a machine. Most you will find if you search for "windows limit network by process". I have not used these tools since the XP days so I can not recommend one and forget what I actually used. I used one to limit the amount of data a game could download, that patches were huge and I had a very small connection at the time. There may have been a option to limit all processes which is what you want. I don't know if there is a way to hide this from person.

You might also try the software that does parental controls such as K9 but I don't know if it can limit the speed or just the times.

You are going to have a massive issue trying to limit it that slow even if you really meant 400k and 600k. Without getting into a complex discussion of burst rates, the problem is these are averaged numbers your get very large peaks of data that can exceed the set rate. This does not hurt much on larger connections but on small ones it is much more evident.

..........and the big problem is you can only affect the rate you SEND traffic. Lets say you are running a game and the server is sending a constant stream of data (ie you are downloading/receiving) at a rate of 500k. Now lets say you try to limit the speed to 200k what actually happens the router/pc receives the full 500k and throws away 300k. You still actually use up you network bandwidth even though the application never sees the data.
In this case the game just keeps sending it does not detect the data loss and attempt to use less some of the more common apps like youtube do detect it but again when you are using such small numbers it does not work very well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS