How to lower FSB multiplier x13.5 ?

rodney007

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hi guys,

i run a MX-SN SE plus mother board

5200+ amd dual core (at max oc 2.94GHZ) from 2.70ghz
i heard that by lowering my fsb multiplier i can run a higher CPU frequency?
i tried looking right through my bios but failed to see any adjustments..

any ideas appreciated.

No. FSB frequency X internal multiplier = core frequency. If your CPU cores limit you to 3.0 GHz (for example), it will not matter what combination you use. 3 GHz. will still be your limit.

What you are thinking of is the idea that you decrease the internal multiplier and increase the FSB frequency. The internal core frequency would be the same, but theoretically the setup with the higher FSB would be a little quicker because the higher FSB means that you are getting data into and out of the core more quickly.

In reality, there's little practical difference.

bob_vicktor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
jsc, you have a good point, but the AMDs operate a little differently. They use HyperTransport instead of a FSB (I haven't figured out the big difference). What I think he heard, but only remembered part of, was that by lowering the multiplier on the HT link he can up his base clock speed without setting his HT above recommended speed. The multiplier is kinda like how Intel 'quad-pumps' their FSB (1066 is really 266, etc.), but it is adjustable. If you already knew that, then my bad. ;)

For more info (where I go mine from actually) that goes into much better detail, go here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1497607

It is an excellent ocing guide that someone else in the forums pointed me to. Good luck!

rodney007

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
nah i upgraded the motherboard and cpu, 5200+ isnt good enough regardless of overclock.. not enough cache ... or cores :D

running phenom 720 x3 core, performance is almost double