Thundurh

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015
Hello, my GPU is running very hot while gaming (on the loading screen, the temp is already at 84 C). While gaming GPU temps sit around 83-84 C. My computer crashes often while gaming for anywhere more than 30 minutes, and I think temps could be the cause of it, or.... it could be a faulty power supply. My PSU Power % while gaming is at around 70-80% in MSI Afterburner. Are both of these things concerning? Trying to find the issue to the crashing which has been going on for 2 years.

Last edited:
Solution
84C on an air cooled gpu is normal if the application is demanding enough. The temperature is definitely high, but shouldn't be enough to cause your pc to shutdown. Most GPUs start to throttle around that temp, not shutdown. What are you cpu temps? My guess is that the issue is with your psu. I don't know much about the 600B, but it doesn't look like very good quality.

As for how to lower the temps you have few options. Do you have a fan curve set?
Other options are to buy better fans or go for water cooling. Dust out the heat sink and/or apply new thermal paste. I would throw getting a case with better airflow in there but the airflow should be good in the Spec-Delta.

Thundurh

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015
Please list your systems specs including fans and where they are mounted.
How does your system get cool air and expel warm air back into the room?
I have checked, all fans should be taking air in at the front, and exhaling towards the back. I currently have 4 active stock fans that came with the case, 3 in the front 1 in the back.

Specs
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti
CPU: i5 10600k
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
MOBO: MSI MPG Z490
PSU: EVGA 600B (bought in 2015)
CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO
CASE: Corsair SPEC-DELTA

Last edited:

xnikx

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
84C on an air cooled gpu is normal if the application is demanding enough. The temperature is definitely high, but shouldn't be enough to cause your pc to shutdown. Most GPUs start to throttle around that temp, not shutdown. What are you cpu temps? My guess is that the issue is with your psu. I don't know much about the 600B, but it doesn't look like very good quality.

As for how to lower the temps you have few options. Do you have a fan curve set?
Other options are to buy better fans or go for water cooling. Dust out the heat sink and/or apply new thermal paste. I would throw getting a case with better airflow in there but the airflow should be good in the Spec-Delta.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Thundurh

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015

CPU temps are fine. About 70C while gaming. I do agree that the crashing could be a PSU issue, so I am going to swap out my current for a Corsair CX650 soon. I do have a fan curve set, yes. As for water cooling, would this be for the CPU or the GPU? I am very scared to open up my GPU and clean it out and apply thermal paste, but I might have to if it will help with temps.

Thundurh

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015
Have you monitored your CPU temps at all?
Checked the fan curves of the GPU?
Cleaned the GPU cooler fins? it may need having thermal paste reapplied but that is much more involved then doing a CPU.
CPU temps are fine. I have a fan curve, but I am not sure if it is good. I would like a fan curve that performs well under high temps but is quiet while under lower temps. Any tips?

xnikx

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
CPU temps are fine. About 70C while gaming. I do agree that the crashing could be a PSU issue, so I am going to swap out my current for a Corsair CX650 soon. I do have a fan curve set, yes. As for water cooling, would this be for the CPU or the GPU? I am very scared to open up my GPU and clean it out and apply thermal paste, but I might have to if it will help with temps.

Yeah the psu is more than likely what is causing the crashing. If you have a local microcenter you can go purchase one and return it, if its not the culprit you can return it.

As far as the heat issue, that will still be an issue even with a new psu. You can watercool the cpu, gpu, or both. It's not very difficult but requires some research, money, and maintenance. So it is not for everyone. There is no guarantee that applying new thermal paste will help the temps but there is a good chance. It is also not very difficult to do, there are plenty of youtube videos that will show you how.