Question How to make a bios update from Windows 8 work on 10?

Nov 7, 2019
Hi there. I have an older Dell computer and the manufacture site (Dell) for my motherboard only posted the bios updates no higher than Windows 7. My pc is behind 2 versions of the bios updates and I believe there won't be any other bios updates for this pc. I have tried many times to work with their bios updates. It says it's working, but after the computer boots back up the bios remains on the old version. I think the computer won't except the update due to it being a different windows version. I don't want to revert back to Windows 7 because of all the recent updates. Is there anyone who has found a work around for this issue. Thank you.

Nov 7, 2019
You could try using their program, Dell Command Update, and see if that can download and update the BIOS for you. I use it for work machines and it works pretty well for drivers and BIOS.
Hi there. Thank you so much for replying and your suggestion. I did try it and it said everything was up to date, but on the dell website for my computer model it has the 2 bios updates. I'm wondering if Dell Command Update said it was up to date because those bios updates were made before Windows 10? Any other suggestions?

If you still think you want this BIOS update: Your computer is old enough to have (and support) booting off CD/DVD. In many cases, Dell do provide ISO image with BIOS update on it. Burn it onto a blank CD (don't forget to burn as an image, not a file), then boot off it.

Nov 7, 2019
Why do you need the update? As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to update firmware unless there is a critical need to do so.
I guess one of the reasons I thought I should update the bios is that they made adjustments and those adjustments might make my pc run better. Another thought I had was drivers for any of the other components on the computer would be based off the newer bios and would be a more up to date then the drivers from the older bios version? But, really I am having a really hard time with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti driver on my windows 10 pro edition. This card does not have a power connector built on it which I have read some cards don't need depending on what you are using them for. I am also wondering if it's because the drivers on my computer are based off of an older bios version.

Nov 7, 2019
If you still think you want this BIOS update: Your computer is old enough to have (and support) booting off CD/DVD. In many cases, Dell do provide ISO image with BIOS update on it. Burn it onto a blank CD (don't forget to burn as an image, not a file), then boot off it.
Thank you so much. I believe I tried this with a usb stick and it appeared to work, but when I checked the bios version it remained the same. I can try a cd too though.

What model is the Dell? BIOS and drivers are not the same thing. While you do run into an issue where a BIOS update is sometimes needed to fully support a later CPU model of the same socket, this has never been the case with video cards. Also, while the BIOS shouldn't matter, power supply does. So running a GTX 750 may not be possibly on the default power supply, depending on what your model came with.

Nov 7, 2019
What model is the Dell? BIOS and drivers are not the same thing. While you do run into an issue where a BIOS update is sometimes needed to fully support a later CPU model of the same socket, this has never been the case with video cards. Also, while the BIOS shouldn't matter, power supply does. So running a GTX 750 may not be possibly on the default power supply, depending on what your model came with.
Hi there. sorry for late reply. I am quickly sending this while at work. Here is my computer specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti GTX 750TI GAMING 2G 128Bit 2GB Video Card Refurbished

Dell Vostro 430 Series Motherboard D735T

Compatible Processors:
Intel Core i7 (880, 870)
Intel Core i5 (760, 650)
Intel Core i3 (540)
Intel Pentium Dual Core (G6950)
Chipset: Intel H57 Express
External Ports:
2 x PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse
1 x Serial Port
6 x USB Port
1 x RJ-45 Network Port
1 x Audio Line-Out
1 x Audio Line-In
1 x Audio Microphone In
Internal Connectors:
2 x PCI
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
4 x Memory slots
Audio:
Integrated
Video:
None
Memory:
Type: DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz
DIMM Slots: 2
Capacity: Up to 4GB

Here is the specs for the video card I bought. It was refurbished on ebay.

Brand:UnbrandedPower Cable Requirement:Not Required
Connectors:DVI, HDMI, VGAMPN:Does Not Apply
Chipset/GPU Manufacturer:NVIDIACompatible Slot:PCI Express 1.0 x16
Memory Size:2GBCooling Component Included:Fan
APIs:DirectX 11Memory Type:DDR5
Appropriate For:GamingChipset/GPU Model:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Here is the bios info:

Dell Precision T1500 System BIOS, Vostro 430 BIOS, 2.4.0
2.4.0 System BIOS for both P55 platform and H57 platform
Fixes & Enhancements
Dell Inc.
Copyright (C) 2011, All Rights reserved.
www.dell.com

Version: 2.4.0
Build Date: 01/13/2011

Fixes/Enhancements:
=================================================
  1. Update CPU microcode.
  2. Enhance Windows support.
  3. Enhance display monitor support.
Version
Version 2.4.0, 2.4.0
Category
BIOS
Release date
19 Jan 2011
Last Updated
03 Nov 2014
Importance
Recommended
Available formats
File Format:
Windows/DOS
File Name:SYEO-240.exe
Download Type:HTTP
File Size:7.97 MB
Format Description:
This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. The Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format can be used to install from any Windows or MS DOS environment.

Thank you.

Nov 7, 2019
Sorry the nvidia geforce was the card I bought and suppose to go under the video card section not the computer specs.