Question How to make a folder on my windows 10 machine visible for VLC on chromecast?

psaez84

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Hi

VLC for chromecast has an option for read content on a local network. If I access that option, I can see my main computer, but If I open it, it's empty.

How can I share a folder with movies to VLC for chromecast?

It's an i7 6700 with windows 10 pro updated to last, 32 gb ram. I didn't change anything by default in windows IP configurations or router default configurations. It's the router from my internet company. All has default settings. I don't have network configurations knowledge.

I found two images that represents the same I have in my chromecast for google tv VLC app. I removed a thing from the second image to match my issue:

vlc-1.jpg

vlc-2.jpg

When I open that folder with "smb" writted on it, I simply can't see nothing.

I created a folder on my computer, and did this: Properties/shared -> share and accepted all by default, without doing nothing special, because I simply don't know if I must set something there.

The result is that no folder is visible on VLC.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you using any Static IP addresses for the computers or other network devices?

Three requirements:

1) The movies must be saved in the desired folder on the host (maIn ?) computer.

2) The host (main) computer must be configured to share those files with other compters/users.

3) The shared folder must be configured with the applicable permissions allowing sharing with other computers/users.

Use full pathnames to the host computer, drive, and shared folder.

Regarding:

"VLC for chromecast has an option for read content on a local network."

Are you able to take a couple of screenshots showing the option window(s) and related screens etc.?

Post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Hopefully just matter of getting the shares correctly setup and configured.

psaez84

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you using any Static IP addresses for the computers or other network devices?

Three requirements:

1) The movies must be saved in the desired folder on the host (maIn ?) computer.

2) The host (main) computer must be configured to share those files with other compters/users.

3) The shared folder must be configured with the applicable permissions allowing sharing with other computers/users.

Use full pathnames to the host computer, drive, and shared folder.

Regarding:

"VLC for chromecast has an option for read content on a local network."

Are you able to take a couple of screenshots showing the option window(s) and related screens etc.?

Post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Hopefully just matter of getting the shares correctly setup and configured.
Hi

It's an i7 6700 with windows 10 pro updated to last, 32 gb ram. I didn't change anything by default in windows IP configurations or router default configurations. It's the router from my internet company. All has default settings. I don't have network configurations knowledge.

I found two images that represents the same I have in my chromecast for google tv VLC app. I removed a thing from the second image to match my issue:

vlc-1.jpg

vlc-2.jpg

When I open that folder with "smb" writted on it, I simply can't see nothing.

I created a folder on my computer, and did this: Properties/shared -> share and accepted all by default, without doing nothing special, because I simply don't know if I must set something there.

The result is that no folder is visible on VLC.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not a Chromecast user - full disclosure.

Are you able to share the folder and contents via Windows?

The drive/folder being hosted and shared by "main computer" will the necessary permissions for the VLC computer to view and read. (Read only as I understand your post and requirements.)

FYI:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

Are you able to create the file shares using the above tutorial?

Objective simply being to see if Windows and/or your network is being supportive of the sharing.

Once that is determined and hopefully working then the next step is to use what has been learned and configured in order to do the same via Chromecast.