News How to Make a Full System Image Backup in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumplestilts

Honorable
Feb 12, 2019
...or you just buy Casper from fssdev and it gets done with 99% less effort. You also get a bootable USB clone which may be cloned back to a differently sized HD. Yes, it works perfectly. Worth every penny.

GeorgeRen

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
I use Macrium's Rapid Delta Clone for this. Never heard of Casper.
There is no guarantee that the clone will boot with USB even if Windows to Go is applied when using Macrium. I will test Casper to see if it is more reliable than Macrium at booting a cloned copy.

USAFRet

Titan
...or you just buy Casper from fssdev and it gets done with 99% less effort. You also get a bootable USB clone which may be cloned back to a differently sized HD. Yes, it works perfectly. Worth every penny.
I tried Casper.
Gave it up in favor of Macrium Reflect, which actualy worked.

I could never get Casper to adhere to the schedule I set.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
in old times we had hardware one to one cloning machines for hdd without the need for any pc or even OS... I wonder if such machine is available for M2 SSD

Jul 21, 2023
Make a disk image file that can give you a perfect restore or even mount as its own drive in Windows.

How to Make a Full System Image Backup in Windows : Read more
Just be aware that if you buy EaseUs (the free version won't do a clone) that when it does not work properly (It did not for me) then you will have to fight tooth and nail to get the "30 day money back guarantee" honored. I am on my third attempt and if it fails then I will have to contact my credit card company and protest the charge.

dfatth

Honorable
Nov 28, 2017
I'm not sure how you leave out the two best, and oldest, image backup products on the planet, Acronis and TeraByte Drive Image Suite?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I used the DOS version of Norton Ghost extensively for myself as well as for my clients.
Backing up and restoration was extremely easy and reliable.
I wonder if there's anything comparable for modern systems.

kashifnawaz85

Reputable
Sep 27, 2018
The Windows built-in Imaging system never works for me. I can make image successfully but whenever I try to restore it's gives me error. Now I'm always using free 3rd party solutions in HBCD.

Oct 15, 2023
It seems for some business computers, the backup is greyed out for security reasons or Microsoft makes very hard to back up the image for security reasons. There is no other way to do the backup without third party software. Microsoft doesn't want user to make a copy of it's operating system. Only backup is just going to the file history and not the backup section. you get the file history only not the image. If your computer crashes or virus, you need to reinstall the windows operating system from boot. All the dell or oem computers have a boot option where windows 10 is reinstalled fresh copy. there is no need for a cd disk image anymore. The image or backup is in the hard drive and non-writeable. All this changing of reserve partitions,don't waste your time with it. For business they may need to back up entire image and easier to resintall later but for home users. Just reinstall the operating system, and applications and reinstall all the files that is saved in file history.

As i said, for business that need daily backups. or auto backups you need third party backup software. the windows 10 backup doesn't work which is why they have those third party software

the backup fails when it tries to create the windows operating system image.

USAFRet

Titan
It seems for some business computers, the backup is greyed out for security reasons or Microsoft makes very hard to back up the image for security reasons. There is no other way to do the backup without third party software. Microsoft doesn't want user to make a copy of it's operating system. Only backup is just going to the file history and not the backup section. you get the file history only not the image. If your computer crashes or virus, you need to reinstall the windows operating system from boot. All the dell or oem computers have a boot option where windows 10 is reinstalled fresh copy. there is no need for a cd disk image anymore. The image or backup is in the hard drive and non-writeable. All this changing of reserve partitions,don't waste your time with it. For business they may need to back up entire image and easier to resintall later but for home users. Just reinstall the operating system, and applications and reinstall all the files that is saved in file history.

As i said, for business that need daily backups. or auto backups you need third party backup software. the windows 10 backup doesn't work which is why they have those third party software

the backup fails when it tries to create the windows operating system image.
I can't begin to describe how many ways the above text is wrong.....

Oct 15, 2023
I can't begin to describe how many ways the above text is wrong.....
backup ussed to be easy and you don't need no third party backup software..microsoft doesn't want to make it easy to make the image backup. it is the most basic computer function. backup files. or bakup. and for business it is essential, they even backup multiple copies off site. it's like a entire dept just to make backups. as technicians, ,if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, don't even bother trying to fix it on why you cannot use the windows backup image function. like messing with partitiions etc. or adding any unvested unknown software trying to fix it.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
backup ussed to be easy and you don't need no third party backup software..microsoft doesn't want to make it easy to make the image backup. it is the most basic computer function. backup files. or bakup. and for business it is essential, they even backup multiple copies off site. it's like a entire dept just to make backups.
In a business environment, yes, they have a team to manage backups.
Hardware, software, etc.

In the consumer space, there are multiple applications to do this.
Cheap or free.

Personally, I use Macrium Reflect.
Blindingly easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.