[SOLVED] How to make a Harddisk free for any user?

May 6, 2020
I have a huge problem, since my external harddisk has started assigning ownership to certain users. I use it at work with around 10 other co-workers on many different systems and computers. It has always been free for all to use, but now it has started "Locking itself" to certain users. This is a disaster since all my employes are depending on having acces to the same documents on the disk. How do i force the disk to skip any ownership?

Solution
  1. Did anyone move their Libraries to that drive? /Documents, etc.
  2. If a file is open when it is disconnected from System A, that file will be locked to User A. If User B tries to open it...no luck.

3. A 10 person office really really needs a centralized storage location, rather than a movable fragile external drive. Someone drops it during a handoff...all your data is toast.

You could get a 2 bay NAS box and drives for under $500. Safe, stable, faster.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a huge problem, since my external harddisk has started assigning ownership to certain users. I use it at work with around 10 other co-workers on many different systems and computers. It has always been free for all to use, but now it has started "Locking itself" to certain users. This is a disaster since all my employes are depending on having acces to the same documents on the disk. How do i force the disk to skip any ownership?
What is this drive connected to for all this access?

What file types are being "shared", with what applications?

May 6, 2020
What is this drive connected to for all this access?

What file types are being "shared", with what applications?

It's an external drive and the drive is just connected to different peoples PC via usb.

Al sorts of files *.docx, PSD, Jpg and files from Excel, PowerPoint. Different software for our Company printer and so on.

USAFRet

Titan
  2. If a file is open when it is disconnected from System A, that file will be locked to User A. If User B tries to open it...no luck.

3. A 10 person office really really needs a centralized storage location, rather than a movable fragile external drive. Someone drops it during a handoff...all your data is toast.

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
Solution
I absolutely agree with USAFRet above, the way you are sharing files with a 10 people at work is horrible. It's like sharing 10 bagels by sending one around to everyone to take a bite, then taking a second one and doing the same thing, then a third, instead of handing out each person their own bagel or just buying one 10 times larger if you must share one.

Very bad idea for file safety and as you see there is an issue with rights. Setup a proper network sharing area with backups.

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
May 6, 2020

Thanks for the reply. That's what happened. Seems like somebody left some files open and then disconnected the drive.

you can set the clearance as below.

Select a folder and go to properties. --> Security tab --> Edit button --> Make sure full control is given for everybody.

Thanks, that fixed the access problem. And yes, i will get a better system for sharing work for our company. We only used this disk for a small shared project, but goos point in getting something stable instead.