News How to make a Raspberry Pi Home Air Quality Monitor

Jul 18, 2021
Hi!

Thanks so much for this guide! I am a complete newbie and found this very easy to follow.

I have followed the instructions as posted but can't make it run well.

When opening the browser to view the page, this is what appears:

This site can’t be reached
192.168.10.165 refused to connect.

then I get this from the Windows command prompt:

web_1 | Traceback (most recent call last):
web_1 | File "app.py", line 15, in <module>
web_1 | aqm = AirQualityMonitor()
web_1 | File "/code/AirQualityMonitor.py", line 13, in init
web_1 | self.sds = SDS011(port='/dev/ttyUSB0')
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 132, in init
web_1 | self.probe()
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 139, in probe
web_1 | firmware_version_data = self.get_firmware_version()
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 226, in get_firmware_version
web_1 | return self.request(cmd)
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 234, in request
web_1 | resp = self.rx_cmd_resp_queue.get(timeout=10)
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/queue.py", line 178, in get
web_1 | raise Empty
web_1 | _queue.Empty

I am using an old Raspberry Pi (2011.12) and have installed the latest Raspbian OS.

I am hoping that you can help me out.

Reactions: NJAir
Jul 21, 2021
I'm having the same issue - currently running Raspberry Pi 3 (B+) - not headless. Can't navigate to IP address as per the last instruction in the tutorial. Sorry, I'm a noob! Any help would be appreciated. Would love to see the air quality readings!

Hi!

Thanks so much for this guide! I am a complete newbie and found this very easy to follow.

web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 132, in init
web_1 | self.probe()
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 139, in probe
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 226, in get_firmware_version
web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sds011/sds011.py", line 234, in request
web_1 | raise Empty
web_1 | _queue.Empty

I am using an old Raspberry Pi (2011.12) and have installed the latest Raspbian OS.

Jul 21, 2021
Hi!

web_1 | self.probe()
web_1 | raise Empty
web_1 | _queue.Empty

I figured it out - this is an issue that was discussed on Github: https://github.com/rydercalmdown/pi_air_quality_monitor/issues

You have to change the code in a file called "index" to point to your pi's IP address (or removed the IP address entirely and use /api/ instead - that worked for me).

Also, you have to close and restart the script ("make run") a couple of times before it runs correctly.

Eventually this will all work, and you'll be able to navigate to your pi's IP address (port 8000) to see the data.

Reactions: Psyrick
Jul 18, 2021
I figured it out - this is an issue that was discussed on Github: https://github.com/rydercalmdown/pi_air_quality_monitor/issues

You have to change the code in a file called "index" to point to your pi's IP address (or removed the IP address entirely and use /api/ instead - that worked for me).

Also, you have to close and restart the script ("make run") a couple of times before it runs correctly.

Eventually this will all work, and you'll be able to navigate to your pi's IP address (port 8000) to see the data.

Glad that worked out for you. I have done those indicated at the link but I am still having the same errors as before... Decided to just try running different code instead - apparently plenty available in other sites.

I hope that the people who decided to post this tried to run the code first though 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: NJAir
Jul 21, 2021
Glad that worked out for you. I have done those indicated at the link but I am still having the same errors as before... Decided to just try running different code instead - apparently plenty available in other sites.

I hope that the people who decided to post this tried to run the code first though 🤷‍♂️

Yes - plenty available elsewhere. Just finished one version using Adafruit IO and it was relatively trouble free. Enjoying putting these things together!

Reactions: Psyrick
Jul 18, 2021
Are you talking about the one from the Raspberry Pi Blog? Yeah, that does look good. Would you mind sharing where I can learn how use Adafruit? I am a total beginner at this and have no idea how to setup Adafruit...

Jun 10, 2022
Hey,
When I wanted to make the program going I got an error at the make build step.

ERROR: Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/tarfile.py", line 2292, in utime
os.utime(targetpath, (tarinfo.mtime, tarinfo.mtime))
PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/base_command.py", line 167, in exc_logging_wrapper
status = run_func(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/req_command.py", line 205, in wrapper
return func(self, options, args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/install.py", line 339, in run
requirement_set = resolver.resolve(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/resolution/resolvelib/resolver.py", line 94, in resolve
result = self._result = resolver.resolve(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_vendor/resolvelib/resolvers.py", line 481, in resolve
state = resolution.resolve(requirements, max_rounds=max_rounds)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_vendor/resolvelib/resolvers.py", line 373, in resolve
failure_causes = self._attempt_to_pin_criterion(name)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_vendor/resolvelib/resolvers.py", line 213, in _attempt_to_pin_criterion
criteria = self._get_updated_criteria(candidate)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_vendor/resolvelib/resolvers.py", line 204, in _get_updated_criteria
self._add_to_criteria(criteria, requirement, parent=candidate)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_vendor/resolvelib/resolvers.py", line 172, in _add_to_criteria
if not criterion.candidates:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/vendor/resolvelib/structs.py", line 151, in __bool_
return bool(self._sequence)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/internal/resolution/resolvelib/found_candidates.py", line 155, in __bool_
return any(self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/resolution/resolvelib/found_candidates.py", line 143, in <genexpr>
return (c for c in iterator if id(c) not in self._incompatible_ids)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/resolution/resolvelib/found_candidates.py", line 47, in _iter_built
candidate = func()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/resolution/resolvelib/factory.py", line 215, in _make_candidate_from_link
self._link_candidate_cache[link] = LinkCandidate(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/internal/resolution/resolvelib/candidates.py", line 288, in __init_
super().init(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/internal/resolution/resolvelib/candidates.py", line 158, in __init_
self.dist = self._prepare()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/resolution/resolvelib/candidates.py", line 227, in _prepare
dist = self._prepare_distribution()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/resolution/resolvelib/candidates.py", line 299, in _prepare_distribution
return preparer.prepare_linked_requirement(self._ireq, parallel_builds=True)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/prepare.py", line 487, in prepare_linked_requirement
return self._prepare_linked_requirement(req, parallel_builds)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/prepare.py", line 532, in _prepare_linked_requirement
local_file = unpack_url(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/prepare.py", line 224, in unpack_url
unpack_file(file.path, location, file.content_type)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/unpacking.py", line 247, in unpack_file
untar_file(filename, location)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/unpacking.py", line 222, in untar_file
tar.utime(member, path)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/tarfile.py", line 2294, in utime
raise ExtractError("could not change modification time")
tarfile.ExtractError: could not change modification time
WARNING: You are using pip version 22.0.4; however, version 22.1.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the '/usr/local/bin/python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.
The command '/bin/sh -c pip install -r requirements.txt' returned a non-zero code: 2
ERROR: Service 'web' failed to build : Build failed
make: *** [Makefile:22: build] Error 1

Can anyone help me? That would be awesome I'm a complete newbie.