How to make a shortcut to a folder open in Folders view?

By default if you make a shortcut to a folder it'll just open a window for
that folder. If you want the folders showing in the left-hand pane you need
to click the Folders button. In NT4 I had a shortcut that'd open Windosw
Explorer straight to my chosen folder, but I can't remember how it was done.
I do remember the shortcut pointed to explorer.exe with the folder specified
in the parameters, but I can't remember the syntax.

Am I making sense? To sum up, I want to make a shortcut to a folder that'll
open a window with the Folders pane already open.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:27lJe.641$Dm5.180@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net,
Rojo Habe <no-one@nospam.net> had this to say:

> By default if you make a shortcut to a folder it'll just open a
> window for that folder. If you want the folders showing in the
> left-hand pane you need to click the Folders button. In NT4 I had a
> shortcut that'd open Windosw Explorer straight to my chosen folder,
> but I can't remember how it was done. I do remember the shortcut
> pointed to explorer.exe with the folder specified in the parameters,
> but I can't remember the syntax.
> Am I making sense? To sum up, I want to make a shortcut to a folder
> that'll open a window with the Folders pane already open.

See this link:

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/explorer.htm#EXPLORER2

(You'd then make a shortcut with the command you used)

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Rojo Habe wrote:

> Am I making sense? To sum up, I want to make a shortcut to a folder that'll
> open a window with the Folders pane already open.

If you know at least one file in the folder that is always there you may use

explorer /e,/select,<full_path_to_file>

Patrick

BINGO!!

Thanks to both of you. I ended up using /root, rather than /select, which
did exactly what I wanted.
I did try typing "explorer /?" in a command window before posting here, but
it appears there's no /? switch or this command.

Thanks again