[SOLVED] How to make a Win 10 istallation flash drive from a Win 10 DVD?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I should have explained... I'm wanting to install version 1809 not 1903, which is what I would get using the download tool. That's why I want to copy my older DVD to flash drive.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I read here that the 1903 version won't let you choose to use an offline account when installing. It insists you make/have a MS account. I also read that the work-around was to leave one's internet disconnected until one reached the desktop. Plus I really don't want 1903 yet. I'm afraid it will have other changes I won't like. Like eventually forcing us to pay for the OS by subscription. That is exactly what it looks like it is becoming by requiring a MS account only.

USAFRet

Titan
I read here that the 1903 version won't let you choose to use an offline account when installing. It insists you make/have a MS account. I also read that the work-around was to leave one's internet disconnected until one reached the desktop. Plus I really don't want 1903 yet. I'm afraid it will have other changes I won't like. Like eventually forcing us to pay for the OS by subscription. That is exactly what it looks like it is becoming by requiring a MS account only.
Actually, that is not true.

Just the other day, I tested this.
Installing v1903 in a VirtualBox VM to test exactly this, and it absolutely allows you to use an Offline account during the install.

BLRiZL0.jpg

YuApS8p.jpg

D6dISfj.jpg

It bugs you, but continues on with an Offline account.

And the subscription thing is a non-issue. If that is going to happen, it would happen whatever version you are on.
But it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
My 1903 flash drive installation doesn't show that, USAFRet. And if I click on "next", it won't move on without me using the MS account. I guess I can do it the old fashioned way using diskpart commands, but I was hoping for an app to do it.

Last edited:

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
If you must use the Windows DVD, then you can download Imgburn http://imgburn.com/ which can convert your DVD to an ISO, and then you can use something like rufus https://rufus.ie/ to load a bootable ISO on an USB. Just make sure you don't let Imgburn load unwanted software, still it's a great utility.
Thanks, onespeedbiker. That may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try.

TRENDING THREADS