How to make best use of cat 5 ports in new home

meddyuk

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hi everyone.

I've just moved into a new build and there is a Ethernet port in every room.

Then in the pantry there is a panel of 4 Ethernet ports which I presume connect to all the other ports. I haven't tested this yet.

In the pantry, there is an open reach box for our fibre broadband. I have connected this to the wan port on the BT router to enable Wi-Fi around the house.

There are only 3 spare ports on the Bt router.

So......

Do I need to use the house Ethernet ports if I already have Wi-Fi?

If so, Do I need to buy a switch to make best use of the ports?

How do I make best use of it all?

Cheers

Paul

Solution
what you want to do is go from them modem to the home 4 port or larger switch. then from the center of the home to get the best wifi plug in the wifi router. from that spot plug in your pc and gaming system on the 4 ports of the router. you may have to turn off dms service on the switch or router. if the wifi signal is weak then use another router set it to ap mode to cover the weak spot in your new home. if you can always use the wall outlet for gaming speeds and wifi for phones.
what you want to do is go from them modem to the home 4 port or larger switch. then from the center of the home to get the best wifi plug in the wifi router. from that spot plug in your pc and gaming system on the 4 ports of the router. you may have to turn off dms service on the switch or router. if the wifi signal is weak then use another router set it to ap mode to cover the weak spot in your new home. if you can always use the wall outlet for gaming speeds and wifi for phones.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS