[SOLVED] How to make changes to read-only files?

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I'm trying to edit some ini files on Steam but when I uncheck the read-only option for the directory it just goes right back to being read-only...how do I overcome this?

Solution
Which exact File/folder is that ? Have you tried changing the attribute of the folder ? IDK what might be problem here. Could this be a new Windows 10 OS update/patch bug ? I"m actually having Windows 7 OS.

Anyways, If you are logged in as an administrator and are still unable to access the files, then you’ll have to change the attribute of the file using the command prompt. To do this, follow these instructions:
  1. Press Winkey + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
  2. In order to remove the read-only attribute and set a new attribute, use the following command:
attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

The above command will remove the read-only attribute of the file and change it to system...

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
That shouldn't be happening. On my OS everything works fine, and I can check and uncheck the read-only file, and make changes as well. Are you the ADMIN of your OS ?

Provide full PC specs. Did you apply the changes to the file, after unchecking the read-only option ?

I've tried to apply the changes both before and after making the alterations to the read-only option. Yes, I am the admin of my OS. Here are my system specs...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k @4.00GHz
RAM: 32GB @3200MHz (16-18-18-38)
MB: ASRocks Z170 Extreme6
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti
HDs: x2 Micron M600 ssd

Last edited:
Which exact File/folder is that ? Have you tried changing the attribute of the folder ? IDK what might be problem here. Could this be a new Windows 10 OS update/patch bug ? I"m actually having Windows 7 OS.

Anyways, If you are logged in as an administrator and are still unable to access the files, then you’ll have to change the attribute of the file using the command prompt. To do this, follow these instructions:
  2. In order to remove the read-only attribute and set a new attribute, use the following command:

The above command will remove the read-only attribute of the file and change it to system attribute. However, some files/folders do not operate properly in system attribute so use the following command if you want to remove the system attribute:

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername

Solution

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019

The above command will remove the read-only attribute of the file and change it to system attribute. However, some files/folders do not operate properly in system attribute so use the following command if you want to remove the system attribute:

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername

Great set of instructions! Only the Gurus at Tom's Hardware do this! :)

BTW, they deleted my question on the Steam forums...they do that kinda thing because Steam is a toxic cesspool of human sewage! Which is why I'm moving all my gaming business over to Epic.

Thanks again, MetalMessiah!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

TRENDING THREADS