How to make cloned SSD bootable?

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I cloned C drive to G via Macrium Reflect sector by sector but cannot understand why the mirror drive is not bootable. What commands do I run to enable the mirror G drive to boot just like C?
The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI running Windows 10.

LV2XrHe.png

The G drive needs to say (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, etc.) just like drive C.

Well, you do have two (2) apparently identical 512 GB SSDs(?) installed - Disk 1 & Disk 2. And both appear identical re drive configuration/partitions disk-space-capacity, etc.

So it would appear the disk-cloning operation was successful. Is the problem you would prefer Disk 1 (rather than Disk 2) to serve as your boot drive? If so, set Disk 1 as FIRST in boot priority order in your BIOS settings. You might want to (temporarily) disconnect Disk 2 after doing so BEFORE you initially boot to Disk 1 to determine all is well; then reconnect Disk 2 following Disk 1 successfully booting and functioning without any problems.

BTW, do you want to have that Unallocated disk-space following the C: & G: partitions? Does it serve some sort of a purpose for you. It would seem sensible to just use DM to extend the C: & G: partitions to encompass that unallocated disk-space wouldn't it? Have you considered such?

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Disk G is not bootable, you can see it does not say "Boot" in the description. I have them in the order of C-->G (well before that is the DVD, etc.) But C comes before G and if C is removed, or the order swapped, G is just not bootable and you should see that from the above.

Let me ask you a single question, OK?

If your present system drives' configuration is EXACTLY as Disk Management shows in the screenshot your submitted...
And you shut down the PC and DISCONNECT or UNINSTALL Disk 2 and boot the system with ONLY Disk 1 (and whatever secondary drives) installed...What happens?

Does the system boot? Does Disk Management now show Disk 1 assigned the C: partition? And contains all the other labels that appeared previously on Disk 2?

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Have already tried. G just does not boot. Tried it in various locations (I have 3 M.2 SATA slots), with and without the bootable C disk present. It is not bootable.

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
this is what worked:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s G:

C=source
Destination=G

I swapped the drives so that C became the primary and disk2 with G being the Disk2

They are both bootable now.

the interesting thing is that either disk can only boot when the other is present. Take one out and it does not boot at all.

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I ran the clone many times, including "sector by sector" option, that was the first thing I tried.

Interestingly, it used to work before and I must have made some config change to stop the mirror from booting.

The disk Management tool does not show if a disk is bootable or not.