How To Make GIMP Look and Feel Like Photoshop

Oct 2, 2022
You can get Photoshop for $9 a month in the Photography plan, it is just hidden real well on their site. I am using this plan right now and it comes with 20GB of cloud which I use to work on documents between my PC and tablet. The Photography plan comes with Photoshop, Photoshop on the iPad, Premier Rush, Photoshop Express, UXP Developer Tools, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, and Bridge

USAFRet

Titan
You can get Photoshop for $9 a month in the Photography plan, it is just hidden real well on their site. I am using this plan right now and it comes with 20GB of cloud which I use to work on documents between my PC and tablet. The Photography plan comes with Photoshop, Photoshop on the iPad, Premier Rush, Photoshop Express, UXP Developer Tools, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, and Bridge
Link, please.

USAFRet

Titan
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

The "trick" is to toggle the storage radio button from 1TB to 20GB, which drops the price from $19.99/mo to $9.99/mo.
So reduce your cloud space from 1TB to 20GB, for a reduction of half the price.

Which is STILL much more expensive than other similar tools.

PaintShop Pro, for instance....A one time price of $50-$75.
And does 99% of what PS does. Even to include compatible plugins.

Unless someone is in a paid gig and their employer is paying for it, there is little reason to use actual Photoshop.
And yes,I use the whole CC suite at work.

I have Lightroom v5 at home, only because it was a one time purchase of around $80, several years ago.

Oct 2, 2022

Unless someone is in a paid gig and their employer is paying for it, there is little reason to use actual Photoshop.

I have Lightroom v5 at home, only because it was a one time purchase of around $80, several years ago.
20GB is all you need, I've only used 2% of mine and I constantly use my cloud storage, a super big psd files you won't be using the cloud for since that would be real annoying to sync. Photoshop still is the go to for professionals while Paintshop is a good tool for new people.

USAFRet

Titan
20GB is all you need, I've only used 2% of mine and I constantly use my cloud storage, a super big psd files you won't be using the cloud for since that would be real annoying to sync. Photoshop still is the go to for professionals while Paintshop is a good tool for new people.
Having used PS for years at work, and PSP at home for years....

Photoshop and all of its add ons is absolutely great. The entire tool chain can't be ignored.
In a work environment. Where the employer pays for it.

A perpetual $10/$20 a month to use at home?
Not a chance.
PSP, GIMP, paint.net, many others....

Oct 2, 2022
How'd you discover this & where? PM me please.

Mods: If against forum rules, please let me know and this will be deleted.
if you have an adobe account login and go to all plans on the adobe main page and on the left panel click photo and it should bring up all photo related plans including the $9.99 plan. Someone did link the plan page but that doesn't show the price of the plan but the full plan list shows all the plan prices.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013

I use to use PhotoShop and PaintShop Pro but have switched to Affinity Photo. Got it on sale a few years ago during a sale (half off the $49 price [at the time]). I've been getting free updates for it since 2017.

Once PhotoShop went subscription I was done with them.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I use to use PhotoShop and PaintShop Pro but have switched to Affinity Photo. Got it on sale a few years ago during a sale (half off the $49 price [at the time]). I've been getting free updates for it since 2017.

Once PhotoShop went subscription I was done with them.

Why you don't switch to GIMP instead, its free ;)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
never used any of these type programs much in the past. had an occasion to work with pics for editing, creating and so on and used Gimp. only took a couple days of tinkering and reading and i was able to do everything i wanted and more.

can't see paying for photoshop when free options are out there that work just as well.

USAFRet

Titan
never used any of these type programs much in the past. had an occasion to work with pics for editing, creating and so on and used Gimp. only took a couple days of tinkering and reading and i was able to do everything i wanted and more.

can't see paying for photoshop when free options are out there that work just as well.
I use "adobe" at work, only because the emplyer pays for it.

I use Paintshop Pro at home because it is very very cheap, and I'm used to the interface.
$30-$40 for an upgrade that is good for several years. Which includes VideoStudio.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if boss is paying for it, i'm using it too :)

used a bunch of stuff when i was teaching i'd never actually pay for, but for free i used what i was given. plus i had a ton of other stuff on my laptop to do what i really needed to do.

bobk_nyc

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Photoshop is the standard to which other image editors are measured, but what if you can get the Photoshop UI without spending the cash?

How To Make GIMP Look and Feel Like Photoshop : Read more
. i used PS for many years, until they set up this sub model, then invaladated my PS 6, with some excuse that the vender went out of business, so they were not honoring the paid for serial numbers. with no recourse. forcing people to their new game. i am a senior, that no longer needs to use photo editing every day. but they still cut a number of us out...so i am now boycotting adobe. that said, affinity Photo (if you wait for a sale $35. one time) does most of what PS does, the days of being forced to use PS, are long gone, and adobe is living on a past time reputation...I did use GIMP for a while, but it was to buggy. but perhaps it is time to look at it again...i have been using Affinity Photo. check it out.

Pollopesca

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
I’d still be using CS6 from 2012 were it not for my employer paying for the current version. Ever since Adobe changed to a subscription model, improvements and new features for Photoshop slowed to a crawl (aside from cloud features I have no use for). Should I ever loose access to Adobe CC, GIMP looks to be a viable option.

magusat999

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I dont see this being said so I will add this. Yes, you can have Photoshop for 9.00 a month - BUT this is a great variation and GIMP is very powerful. And remember- its FREE.

magusat999

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I’d still be using CS6 from 2012 were it not for my employer paying for the current version. Ever since Adobe changed to a subscription model, improvements and new features for Photoshop slowed to a crawl (aside from cloud features I have no use for). Should I ever loose access to Adobe CC, GIMP looks to be a viable option.
I have CS6 too, and when Adobe started the subscription model (I can get down with monthly payments that ENDS - but this perpetual crap?) anyways - I recall going through all kinds of hoops to get them from jamming their cloud crap into my standalone product. I was able to do it, but its constantly there, nagging me to do something connected.