Question How to make GPU usage 100%

Jun 13, 2019
Hi. I want to ask. If any part of my pc is bottlenecking the GPU.
My specs
I7-6700(non-K)
Motherboard b250
Ram 16GB 2133mhz corsair
Rtx 2080 Ti zotac amp
Psu 750w platinum corsair
Monitor 24inch 144hz 1080p

Is my cpu bottlenecking my GPU? Or something else? Thanks a lot.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Bottlenecking is an overused and dynamic term - it completely depends on the application. Having your usage hit 100% is technically the very definition of a bottleneck - and this will vary based on what you are doing.

If you are running GPU intensive applications, you may find that your GPU becomes your 'bottleneck' as the application is using your GPU more than your CPU (I.e. gaming).
If you are running CPU intensive applications, you may find that your CPU becomes your 'bottleneck' as the application is using your CPU more than your GPU (I.e. editing, designing)

What I would say, is whilst the 6700 and 2080 ti is a fine enough pair generally, the 2080 ti is geared to gaming above 1080p so you'll likely find you're never getting full potential out of the 2080 ti anyway, so there likely will always be more emphasis on your CPU. As the GPU is not reaching it's full capabilities.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jun 13, 2019
Welcome to the forums!

Bottlenecking is an overused and dynamic term - it completely depends on the application. Having your usage hit 100% is technically the very definition of a bottleneck - and this will vary based on what you are doing.

If you are running GPU intensive applications, you may find that your GPU becomes your 'bottleneck' as the application is using your GPU more than your CPU (I.e. gaming).
If you are running CPU intensive applications, you may find that your CPU becomes your 'bottleneck' as the application is using your CPU more than your GPU (I.e. editing, designing)

What I would say, is whilst the 6700 and 2080 ti is a fine enough pair generally, the 2080 ti is geared to gaming above 1080p so you'll likely find you're never getting full potential out of the 2080 ti anyway, so there likely will always be more emphasis on your CPU. As the GPU is not reaching it's full capabilities.

Hi thanks for very fast reply. Recently i play some dota 2. I mean it should hit 144hz with no really big problem at all. But the facts is it cant hit even 100 fps constant when i played the game esp when we clash or smt like that. And recently i play assassins creed odyssey. My CPU is 100% meanwhile GPU only 70%. And im having problem to play 100 fps constant too. Im confusing. Is my cpu really the problem? Haha.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi thanks for very fast reply. Recently i play some dota 2. I mean it should hit 144hz with no really big problem at all. But the facts is it cant hit even 100 fps constant when i played the game esp when we clash or smt like that. And recently i play assassins creed odyssey. My CPU is 100% meanwhile GPU only 70%. And im having problem to play 100 fps constant too. Im confusing. Is my cpu really the problem? Haha.
As I said, it probably will be CPU, but also because your GPU is made to run at greater than 1080p, so no matter what CPU you get, it will probably be the limiting factor in many games.
So at 1080p, I'm not at all surprised that the 2080ti is only running at 70% usage. You'll probably find this will change when you move into high resolution.

That and it also depends if you're running 1x16 GB RAM or 2x8GB (or 4x4GB for that matter). As you'll want to utilise dual channel.

Jun 13, 2019
As I said, it probably will be CPU, but also because your GPU is made to run at greater than 1080p, so no matter what CPU you get, it will probably be the limiting factor in many games.
So at 1080p, I'm not at all surprised that the 2080ti is only running at 70% usage. You'll probably find this will change when you move into high resolution.

That and it also depends if you're running 1x16 GB RAM or 2x8GB (or 4x4GB for that matter). As you'll want to utilise dual channel.

Hi thanks for your input. Im running 2x8gb ram. I think is that dual channel? Haha. Sorry im kinda new to pc world. Haha. So if im not wrong from your suggestion better upgrade my monitor first with QHD 144hz than upgrading CPU? I have some plan to upgrade monitor though. Thanks

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Try using HWInfo to graph your CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD utilization and temps over time while playing. If there's some component (or temperature) that's maxing out consistently, then that's where your weak link is.

I can almost guarantee that even if your system could run Dota2 at 144fps, there is no way that the 2080Ti would be utilized at 100% It doesn't need to run full-speed to keep up for that game, I suspect.

Jun 13, 2019
Hi just testing my dota2 with bot. This game is just about to begin. Cpu temp already 65 degree(celcius). Ulitization on 34%. Gpu only 34%. So i think my cpu is the weak link ??

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi just testing my dota2 with bot. This game is just about to begin. Cpu temp already 65 degree(celcius). Ulitization on 34%. Gpu only 34%. So i think my cpu is the weak link ??

A single snapshot just as the game is about to begin wouldn't help. You have to play for a while and see how it does over a period of time.

Does the CPU sustain 100% load on any of its cores for a consistent period of time?

Jun 13, 2019
A single snapshot just as the game is about to begin wouldn't help. You have to play for a while and see how it does over a period of time.

Does the CPU sustain 100% load on any of its cores for a consistent period of time?

Just played dota before. I think avg fps is likely 100ish. And cpu usage 65-85% i think. Gpu usage is 40-50% tho. What do you think?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just played dota before. I think avg fps is likely 100ish. And cpu usage 65-85% i think. Gpu usage is 40-50% tho. What do you think?

If the CPU is never hitting 100%, and the GPU is never hitting 100%, then something else is up. Unlikely to be RAM, considering you have 16GB. Processes/updates running in the background, maybe?

Note, the average isn't important, it's a matter if there's any sustained period of maxing out, even if the average is less than 100%.

Also, you should look at individual core utilization rather than the CPU as a whole. With some games, one or two cores get pegged, and the others are not heavily used.