How to make Minecraft run faster on a great PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
No, you're CPU is not a bottleneck
You're CPU only bottlenecks if usage is above 90% on one core. You are at 20% usage, so you are nowhere near a bottleneck.
It seems that minecraft is just unoptimized for what you want. You can try allocating more ram, going up to 25 and see how it performs. But other than that, you're going to have to play with the settings to get the best performance you want.
You're friend may also be lying, so you have not been able to replicate his settings and performance on better hardware.
Nov 5, 2014

Thanks man, I will try this tomorrow. I'm going to finish studying for my final exams.

I think what you're going to find is that Minecraft is being CPU limited, and the only thing you can do to fix that is decrease whatever setting affects the CPU side of things, or increase your per core performance. I don't believe Minecraft is multithreaded at all, although that can change someday in an update, but it's a pretty big undertaking which should have been done from the start to get best results.

AAA titles like BF3 & 4 are good examples of properly coded multi-threading games that can take advantage of powerful CPUs like you have. Minecraft is the opposite. Your high end graphics card however does allow you to turn up the rendering options, so don't discount it's role here. At 90%, your GPU has little left to give in terms of performance, if you do manage to get your CPU per core performance higher.

Nov 5, 2014

I think with Optifine I can get multi core support but I'm not sure, let's find out!

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

optifine allows up to 8 core support as far as i know