How to make my 5.1 speaker work when hdmi is plug in??

obelisk282

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
i have a 790gx hybrid cross fire with 3450
both my dvi to my monitor and hdmi to my tv
is plug in to the 3450.

the thing is my tv have speakers so when i play
movie on my computer's media player and use
extended desktop over to my tv with catalyst's theater mode
there is no sound coming from my computer

how do i get both my 5.1 speaker and my speaker on my tv
to work at the same time?

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
hmm if the HDMI is coming of the graphics card iv heard some cards dont take the sound unless u conect some special jumpers.

if thats the case use HDMI from the GPU to the TV and then get a sound card with optical out and connect this to ur home cinema, if u only have the red and white connection on the home cinema then a stadard 3.5 jack would be fine and require no audio card although that would only give 2.1 rather than 5.1

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
If I am not wrong ATI HD 3000 and 4000 series have built in soundcard for HDMI audio. So You actually have two soundcards. You should change Your default audio device in Your movie player to other soundcard not the ATI. If You don't have this option in player than You should change Windows default audio device. If that does not work go to device manager and disable ATI audio device.

I am not sure if I AM am correct on this, never had to do anything with HDMI and ATI card, could be totally off

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Yes, disable the HDMI-sound hardware in the device manager worked for me, setting my soundcard as default actually didn't . +1 ainarssems

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think You can enable them both to play the same thing at the same time. For example I have two soundcards- built-in Realtek and Creative X-Fi. I Can set one as default and launch one program, then set other as default and launch another program. Sound from first program will be played on first soundcard and from second on second.

What I mean is I can start skype and call somebody with one soundcard selected as default and use a headset for it , then switch default soundcard to other one and start a game, sound from skype will be played on headphones and game sound will be on speakers through other soundcard.

You could open the same movie in two players changing default sound card between openings in different players and use "Pause" to synchronise them. This way sound from one player will be played on TV and from other on PC 5.1 speakers. But I would imagine that it will not be easy to synchronise them.

No, ATI cards pump the audio through a cable from the sound card and combine it with a video signal and wrap it for the HDMI cable.

Tallin

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

That's incorrect. ATI HD 3xxx and 4xxx cards have an on-card realtek HD sound processing chip. No sound card connection is required or used. nVidia is the one that connects to the soundcard. I have an HD 4670, and I can tell you it can be hell getting the HDMI sound to work in XP, particularly if you have on-board Realtek sound. From what I've read, I'd actually have to reinstall Windows to get it to work, because everything else I've tried hasn't.

cyberized

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009

I HEAR that.....I'm in DEEP shoot.....I have the MSI 7411 mobo with integrated Realtek Audio.....I had been getting good sound from SPDIF Coaxial/Digital cable out to my AVR. Yesterday that ALL stopped.....I installed a ATI HD 4670 G.Card and it has HDCP HDMI out with both Video and Sound......I do NOT have HDMI I/O on my AVR.........I now have NO Sound coming out of my SPDIF from HTPC to HDTV. I have disabled the HDMI in the Realtek sound setup and as before have chosen Digital Output as DEFAULT....ALL Sound devices say they are working properly and the Speaker Icon says it is putting out Realtek Sound @ 100%.

PLEASE someone tell me what to do besides replace my AVR and.....

TKS michael

test_43

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

Tallin did you ever get your HDMI to work? I have the same setup, onboard realtek and sapphire 4670 and I can only get stereo sound to work on the 4670. I never get anything close to surround sound. I've reinstalled xp and nothing has changed. I'm very frustrated at this point.
Have you had any success?

deph17

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I have the same problem. My HD4670 with hdmi out gives only stereo.
I have Samsung 40A656 TV and HDCP compliant Onkyo (HTX-22 + SKS11) 5.1 speakers
connected this way:
PC ----hdmi_cable---> Onkyo 5.1 speakers ----hdmi_cable---> TV

I dont use the TV speakers, they are not disabled in TV menu, bud not playing anyway.
Device manager recognize 5.1 speaker configuration after i turn the onkyo on.

I have tried different players (KMPlayer with avc codec, gomplayer...) and different movies
with different audio. Onkyo just can't switch to 5.1. mode.

I've tried it on XP and on fresh 64 bit Windows 7 installation with practicaly no difference.
I have the latest drivers installed.

The sound card on MBoard was disabled in bios before i even started to install Windows 7.
I would not mind using the analog jack -> chinch connection, bud again, Onkyo has only stereo input for analog connection.

Another issue is that with above mentioned connection:
PC --> Onkyo --> TV, i get shrinked, smaller and not so sharp picture on the TV.

leon2006

Distinguished
I have 4890, XIFI Sound card connected to Denon receiver and HDTV and I get to work with 7.1 sound on following configuration. The different configuration works for my setup.

My OS is Vista-64 Ultimate:
Video Driver Confirmed to work on config below: 9.6 to 9.9

For HD Video/ and 7.1 Audio (i.e. Blue Ray based Media) I use PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.
For Music... Any Player works... PowerDVD, Creative Media Source, Windows Media Player...

PC--> (HDMI)HDTV Video/Audio: Equates to HD-Movie on TV plus Stereo Audio on TV.... The HDTV is only Stereo Sound.

PC--> (HDMI) Denon Receiver->HDMI (Video) to HDTV results to 7.1 Audio at the Denon receiver end. The HDTV is 1080P always no issue.
Device Manager and Denon Receiver confirm 7.1 Audio.

PC-->XIFI-Analog-> 7.1 Analog Input of the Denon Receiver: Result to 7.1 Audio
PC--> HDMI--> HDTV: Results to 1080P video at HDTV

PC-->XIFI (SPDIF) -> Optical Input Denon Receiver: Results to 5.1 Audio Input... The 5.1 is a limitation of the XIFI SPDIF card which is limited to 5.1
(The Solution here to get an ASUS TRUE HD Sound card with HDMI/SPDIF True HD support).
PC-->HDMI-->TV...1080PVideo on HDTV, Stereo Audio on TV.

Observations:

1) The realtek Audio for ATI4800 automatically configure the audio base on what it detects on the other end of HDMI cable…If connected (HDMI) to the DENON RECEIVER Device Manager and Denon confirm 7.1 Audio. If connected (HDMI) directly to my HDTV Device Manager detects Stereo sound on HDMI…HDTV Audio is only stereo.
2) You can use the two DVI/HDMI outputs of the 4800 series video card. The AUDIO follow the DVI YOU DEFINE AS THE PRIMARY VIDEO. What I did is I called DIAMOND MULTIMEDIA and they sent me another ATI-DVI/HDMI converter connector. In Summary I can get audio on any of the two 4890 output I designate as primary video.

Notes:

1) My HDTV just like other HDTV have multiple HDMI inputs
2) My Denon Receiver has Multiple HDMI inputs
3) One of the 4890 DVI/HDMI output is connected to the HDTV
4) One of the 4890 DVI/HDMI output is connected to the Denon receiver
5) Both 4890 DVI outputs are fitted with ATI DVI-HDMI converter/connector
6) The onboard Audio on my motherboard is disabled at BIOS

Hope this helps

jas90028

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Test_43, I think I am having the exact same problem, but with Win 7 64bit. Did you ever figure out what the problem was/how to fix it?

rgcastro7

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
This is in a microsoft forum, appears to work. I'll try it out when I get home, but in case it's of use to you, this is what capitano666 found out: link if you want to see forum, else just see following instructions.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/4563a5f8-4be4-4463-b312-eff594a9ae49

Open Sound panel
Select Speakers as the default playback device
Go to the "Recording" tab
Right click and enable "Show Disabled Devices"
A recording device called "Wave Out Mix", "Mono Mix" or "Stereo Mix" (this was my case) should appear
Right click on the new device and click "Enable"
Right click on the new device and click "Set as Default Device"
Double click on the new device to open the Properties window
Go to the "Listen" tab
Click on the "Listen to this device" checkbox
Select your HDMI device from the "Playback through this device" list
And you're done, the drawback is that you won't have a microphone selected as default recording device, but for what concerns me I couldn't care less.
Marked As Answer bycapitano666 Friday, November 20, 2009 7:40 PM

raalvarezx

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hi. I was able to get it to work but now I have a echo? Any fix on how to get rid of the echo? I disabled the microphone but that wasn't the issue.