How to make my GPU run smoother

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sparkygroover

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014
Need help making my MSI GTX 640 run smoother/faster. Its only really used form HD films. Dont do much gaming if any. It tends to run a little `jerky' when played back over my Viera LCD via a HDMI connection. I tried changing the refresh rate from 50HZ to 60 or higher and doesn`t help. Have MSI afterburner but no clue as to what to tweak to help it run better. Any help would be appreciated.
MB Asus H-87 Plus/ i5 4570 3.2Ghz/
Po7DXl5.png
[/URL][/img]

Solution
Might just clear up if its the GT640 or not.

Are you sure you are running it at the correct resolution on the TV? If you set to the wrong one it will have to scale it (which could cause issues like this)

sparkygroover

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014

Should I set it to the highest resolution? 1080i or 1080p? And the refresh rate? which is better?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

CPU doesnt get any hotter when loaded (the screen shot was under no load)?

1080p @60hz is better if your display supports it.

sparkygroover

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014
Hmm okay. how do I go about that? never done it before...but I did read somewhere that updating the BIOS can be harmful? True? More importantly is there a way to check if I have the most up to date BIOS version? Guess that should have been my first question ;)
Update on above info ...BIOS version is 0809 16/05/2014.