[SOLVED] How to make my laptop wifi speeds faster?

kevvvvvvin06

Prominent
Feb 28, 2021
My laptop can only connect to our 2.4G Wi-Fi network because it doesn't have a 5G wireless adapter. Normal 5G speeds of our wifi are 100Mbps but only 20-30Mbps gets to my laptop. My only fix for this is to get my phone connected to 5G, open its hotspot, and then connect my laptop to it. It gets 50Mbps more than the 2.4G connection. When I do a speedtest on my phone it gets about 110Mbps with 5G, I want to get faster speeds on my laptop, Is there anyway to do this without running an Ethernet cab
1.png
2.png
e.jpg
le? Will getting a USB 5G adapter fix this?

Solution
Microsoft has changed things over time but there should be some place on the wifi status that shows a speed. This is not actually the speed but represent that data encoding method.

This is related to stuff like how many antenna your device has (mimo) and what type of data encoding it is using. Things like 802.11g will be much slower than 802.11n or 802.11ac which only runs on 5g.

My guess is the nic card you have in the pc is older and does not support the faster data encoding or maybe the phone has more antenna. Your speeds are not out of line for a even a 802.11n connection with only 1 antenna feed.

I would see if you can find the part number for the wifi nic card. This will also give you a clue as to why it might be...
Microsoft has changed things over time but there should be some place on the wifi status that shows a speed. This is not actually the speed but represent that data encoding method.

This is related to stuff like how many antenna your device has (mimo) and what type of data encoding it is using. Things like 802.11g will be much slower than 802.11n or 802.11ac which only runs on 5g.

My guess is the nic card you have in the pc is older and does not support the faster data encoding or maybe the phone has more antenna. Your speeds are not out of line for a even a 802.11n connection with only 1 antenna feed.

I would see if you can find the part number for the wifi nic card. This will also give you a clue as to why it might be slow if it is a older simpler cards.

In most cases you can replace the wifi nic cards in laptops. All depends on how hard it is to take the laptop apart, some easy ones have separate small doors for just the wifi card. There really are only 2 or 3 connector types so you should be able to find a newer card that will fit. The thing you can't fix is if you laptop only has say 1 antenna, adding antenna is not trivial. You could likely put in a card that uses both 2.4 and 5g radio bands so you could switch to using 5g. Look for youtube videos for your laptop and see how involved it is to disassemble.

Reactions: kevvvvvvin06
Solution