How to make my own portable charger?

Purple_1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Im not sure where I should put this. Just a warning, I am also a complete amateur.

Just so that everyone comments that I should buy some form of jumpstarter with sockets on the side, my response is that they do not hold enough charge to supply a large camp site.

I will spend 14 days camping this summer with my family, and friends. We will need phones to be charged enough to be able to call emergency numbers, and for the children, charge for their various Nintendo and apple devices. I will be able to charge the device at least once every two days, and for at least 30 minutes - 2 hours (or more, it depends).

The device can be any size (within reason).

For inputs, I am thinking about adding a solar panel to the top (nothing super fancy), and a crank on the side (for anyone desperate for electricity). I am also thinking about adding a standard US 3 pin wire and plug, because the bathrooms and my car have sockets.

For outputs, I am planning on 2-4 usb charging outputs, and/or a standard 120v outlet. and even possibly a low voltage light.

Currently, my budget stands around 50-150 dollars, and I am wondering what type of battery (or batteries) I would need, plus what sort of wiring im looking at.

Keep in mind the temperatures at night would probably be a low of 50, and at day would be a high of 80.

Any help would be appreciated, I have 2 months for this, so I do not need anything thrown together. Any questions and I will try to answer.

Solution
Just a warning, I am also a complete amateur.

This is when you buy a premade solution, instead of a hacked together POC, that will not work, but you would end up spending far more of your vacation time screwing with.

Is this car camping, or hike camping?

If car camping...charge things off the car.
If hike camping, a couple of solar chargers. You do NOT want to attempt to haul enough 'battery' for this.
Most stores, electronic / hobby / home improvement sell solar kits, with probably 100Watts and a small battery, enough to recharge a phone twice. Your expectations are for something much more powerful (and expensive). What I would do:
- re-purpose old car battery. Fully charged, it will let your kids use their toys for day or two
- add off-the-shelf inverter (so you can plug anything 120V), and car battery charger. Keep in mind some of the batteries will emit fumes during charging
- Solar panel with controller will eat all of your budget, as attractive as it sounds.

Build a simple box with terminals, outlets, and a handle.

USAFRet

Titan
Just a warning, I am also a complete amateur.

This is when you buy a premade solution, instead of a hacked together POC, that will not work, but you would end up spending far more of your vacation time screwing with.

Is this car camping, or hike camping?

If car camping...charge things off the car.
If hike camping, a couple of solar chargers. You do NOT want to attempt to haul enough 'battery' for this.

Solution

Purple_1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Alright. I appreciate the feedback. I think currently there isn't a cost effective solution to this right now, so I think that I will put this project down for now. In the meantime, I think that we can pretty much just try to cut down on electricity usage, and try to use one of the old jump starters that we have.