[SOLVED] How to make my RGB fans work ?

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015
I have an ASUS rime Z270-P MOBO and just bought an ASUS ROG Strix LC240 RGB cooler to replace a leaky Captain Cool unit. The old unit had standard fans, but the new ASUS rig has RGB fans in addition to the cooler lights.

While the CPU pump hooks to the CPU fan connector on the MOBO, and the pump light connects to a USB 2.0 connector, I don't think there is any dedicated RGB for my fans. If I can't plug them into the MOBO, is there some way to connect a separate RGB controller to them. The output connector is a 4-pin female (I think).

-= Gary =-

Solution
the CPU pump hooks to the CPU fan connector on the MOBO
the cooler's fans would be daisy chained together and connected to the CPU_FAN header.
while the pump would either be connected to a separate power cable, a 4pin PUMP header, and\or motherboard USB header.

this USB connection allows for ASUS software to detect the cooler and control it.
you would probably need this ASUS software to control the RGB options.
the software will be linked on the cooler's manufacturer product support page(s).

if the fans also have separate RGB\aRGB cables than these would need to also be connected.
this would take a 4pin male connection to a RGB header.
if there is a female RGB connector this would more than likely be for also daisy chaining the...
the CPU pump hooks to the CPU fan connector on the MOBO
the cooler's fans would be daisy chained together and connected to the CPU_FAN header.
while the pump would either be connected to a separate power cable, a 4pin PUMP header, and\or motherboard USB header.

this USB connection allows for ASUS software to detect the cooler and control it.
the software will be linked on the cooler's manufacturer product support page(s).

if the fans also have separate RGB\aRGB cables than these would need to also be connected.
if there is a female RGB connector this would more than likely be for also daisy chaining the fan's together.

Solution

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015

From what I thought, my old cooler, which came with the computer when I bought it, was plugged into the CPU_FAN header. So when I switched coolers to a 240 design (Capt. Cool), I plugged the pump itself into the same header. The rest of my fans were plugged into a custom multi-fan connector which was plugged into a 4-pin controlled fan header. That fan "bar" came with the cooler system. It had 2 fans on the radiator (that came with the cooler), and 3 fans (2 on the bottom of the case, and one on the back) for general cooling.

if there is a female RGB connector this would more than likely be for also daisy chaining the fan's together.

I have connected the USB 2.0 cable from the pump to a USB 2.0 header on the MOBO. I had no idea what this cable did, and the "manual" that came with the cooler is next to worthless. The 2 fans do have separate connections for the RGB lights, and a splitter cable. I did check the MOBO stats with ASUS, and apparently, my board does not have an RGB header. If there is, I can't find it. So what I was primarily asking was, lacking this RGB header, is there some kind of controller I can buy to run these lights another way? I've seen a lot of controllers on the Web, but I have no idea which ones would work.

lacking this RGB header, is there some kind of controller I can buy to run these lights another way? I've seen a lot of controllers on the Web, but I have no idea which ones would work.
this board probably doesn't have any RGB headers.

but there are plenty of RGB\aRGB hubs available out there.
just make sure you get one that offers the same connection you need for the fan's RGB cables.
4pin RGB is not compatible with 3pin aRGB.
checking customer reviews on Amazon and\or Newegg.com should give you a pretty good idea of which are reliable.

you should probably look for one that is SATA powered and has it's own RGB controller included.
you may not be able to use the ASUS software to sync the fan's LEDs since they won't be connected directly to the motherboard.

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015
this board probably doesn't have any RGB headers.

but there are plenty of RGB\aRGB hubs available out there.
just make sure you get one that offers the same connection you need for the fan's RGB cables.
4pin RGB is not compatible with 3pin aRGB.
checking customer reviews on Amazon and\or Newegg.com should give you a pretty good idea of which are reliable.

you should probably look for one that is SATA powered and has it's own RGB controller included.
you may not be able to use the ASUS software to sync the fan's LEDs since they won't be connected directly to the motherboard.
Think I found one on Amazon, and I should have it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works. It has 3 outlets, so I can connect the two fans and maybe add some RGB ribbon to the inside.

Thank you for the reply!

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015
Well, the controller I bought is a 4-pin and the fans are 3-pin. Surprisingly, ASUS has nothing in its documentation that describes the fans as aRGB. The box and the data sheet all say RGB. SO back where I started - anyone steer me to a 3-pin aRGB controller?

TRENDING THREADS