How to make sure that your gaming desk won't break or warp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyuodfwegyu

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
I wan't to make my own gaming desk, however I don't know how to make sure that it won't warp or break. I have an extremely heavy pc which I MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT place on top of my desk, a dual 27 inch monitor setup and i'm planning on having a pretty long gaming desk. How do I make sure that my gaming desk won't warp or break from everything on top of it? Do I need a support beams under the desk that are connected with all the table legs? If so is that all I need to do and can do to make sure that my desk won't warp or break?

Solution
What kind of support you'll need depends on the type of desk you'll be building. There is also the considerations of width and materials. You're going to need some sort of support structure to reinforce the top to avoid bowing and for the legs to prevent wobble. I'd suggest doing a google image search of DIY desks. To find a design type you like. Then pay attention to the support structures. There are also a lot of how to videos from master carpenters on Youtube.

Just stick with something basic if you don't have much experience or a lot of tools.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I get why you wanted to put this on toms hardware, but ironically, this is a computer site, not a wood working site. So wrong place, but if I had to say something to you, I would say to make it out of oak (very strong wood, but expensive). I would probably make support beams as it will wobble if you don't. I don't exactly have a very good background in working with wood, I took a class in high school and did some projects with my dad, so you can take my advice for what it is.

This maybe a computer site but there are other forum sections that aren't even computer related. This is still kinda computer related and isn't the first person to ask about making a pc desk and won't be the last. I've had a couple handmade wood desks and they don't need support for the weight. They need so it doesn't wobble side to side. Look at existing desks and you should get an idea of how it should be made. There's also plenty of how to's online to make desks. I don't know if you wanted to make it out of wood or another material but you start with knowing what material, then get a design idea and dimensions.

What kind of support you'll need depends on the type of desk you'll be building. There is also the considerations of width and materials. You're going to need some sort of support structure to reinforce the top to avoid bowing and for the legs to prevent wobble. I'd suggest doing a google image search of DIY desks. To find a design type you like. Then pay attention to the support structures. There are also a lot of how to videos from master carpenters on Youtube.

Just stick with something basic if you don't have much experience or a lot of tools.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.