[SOLVED] How to make the rear audio mute when a headphone is plugged in at the front audio?

Solution
does usb sound cards do muting of the rear audio?

USB sound card is separate from the sound card in the system, so if you have the speakers plugged into the motherboard audio and set the play back to the USB DAC/AMP then the speakers won't play. Many DAC/APMs have speaker outputs to powered speakers, I have one and just shut off the speakers when not using them, I don't swap things around enough that hitting the power button is an annoyance, but my speaker volume and power are within easy reach on my desk. If any of them turn off the rear speakers when you have headphones in I am not sure about but I'm sure there are models that do or with an easy selector. For me just turning the speakers off is good enough, I use the FX...

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Desktop computer? Make, model, specs?

Do you have two audio devices plugged in? E.g., speakers in the rear and then you want the rear speakers to mute when headphones are plugged into the front?

More information needed.
Desktop PC

rear audio is for the speakers and front audio is for headphones(both are plugged in). and exactly this:
you want the rear speakers to mute when headphones are plugged into the front?

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Check the following link:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-change-default-playback-recording-audio-device

Note the section/paragraph:

"How to select the default playback device in Windows 10, using the Sound flyout"

My first thought (and now second thought) was some PowerShell script. However, I have not explored that per se so will suggest the link as starting point.
in other word, i should manually select which audio I choose?
it works but i want it to automatically switch to front if a audio devive is plugged and turn back to rear if unplugged

Ralston18

Titan
Likely you will need some script with logic that detects if an audio device is plugged into the front port or "in use" may be more applicable....

If not then, the logic defaults to the rear port.

It appears that some work/scripts have been written to use PowerShell for audio requirements.

For example:

https://github.com/frgnca/AudioDeviceCmdlets

http://www.ademiller.com/blogs/tech/2008/12/switching-audio-input-and-output-with-powershell/

https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/frustrated-with-windows-default-audio-device-changing/

So, using the last link above, you might be able to parse out the default "True" and "False" values to determine what is in use and switch accordingly.

Again I have not tested any of the scripts but if you are interested in coding/scripts or know someone who is then you may be able to automate the choice.

Reactions: Lil’bertz

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Likely you will need some script with logic that detects if an audio device is plugged into the front port or "in use" may be more applicable....

If not then, the logic defaults to the rear port.

It appears that some work/scripts have been written to use PowerShell for audio requirements.

For example:

https://github.com/frgnca/AudioDeviceCmdlets

http://www.ademiller.com/blogs/tech/2008/12/switching-audio-input-and-output-with-powershell/

https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/frustrated-with-windows-default-audio-device-changing/

So, using the last link above, you might be able to parse out the default "True" and "False" values to determine what is in use and switch accordingly.

Again I have not tested any of the scripts but if you are interested in coding/scripts or know someone who is then you may be able to automate the choice.
ok thanks a lot. Ill try this in a different PC

Maybe I have just kept my speakers shut off and use external headphones amps now and I forget how things worked for me, but I could have sworn my computers used to automatically disable the rear outputs when I inserted headphones on the front port. There may be some settings in the BIOS or the sound card drivers to do this.

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Maybe I have just kept my speakers shut off and use external headphones amps now and I forget how things worked for me, but I could have sworn my computers used to automatically disable the rear outputs when I inserted headphones on the front port. There may be some settings in the BIOS or the sound card drivers to do this.
ill try to check the bios later too

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

USB sound card is separate from the sound card in the system, so if you have the speakers plugged into the motherboard audio and set the play back to the USB DAC/AMP then the speakers won't play. Many DAC/APMs have speaker outputs to powered speakers, I have one and just shut off the speakers when not using them, I don't swap things around enough that hitting the power button is an annoyance, but my speaker volume and power are within easy reach on my desk. If any of them turn off the rear speakers when you have headphones in I am not sure about but I'm sure there are models that do or with an easy selector. For me just turning the speakers off is good enough, I use the FX Audio DAC-X6.

Solution

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
USB sound card is separate from the sound card in the system, so if you have the speakers plugged into the motherboard audio and set the play back to the USB DAC/AMP then the speakers won't play. Many DAC/APMs have speaker outputs to powered speakers, I have one and just shut off the speakers when not using them, I don't swap things around enough that hitting the power button is an annoyance, but my speaker volume and power are within easy reach on my desk. If any of them turn off the rear speakers when you have headphones in I am not sure about but I'm sure there are models that do or with an easy selector. For me just turning the speakers off is good enough, I use the FX Audio DAC-X6.
so the USB sound card won’t fix the problem as it just dissolves in the problem like it nothing happened because I just created another device to choose from and it doesn’t auto switch like i wanted to. am I right?

so the USB sound card won’t fix the problem as it just dissolves in the problem like it nothing happened because I just created another device to choose from and it doesn’t auto switch like i wanted to. am I right?

Correct, it will just have a different sound source, to play the rear speakers if connected to the motherboard you would be swapping to the other card in default sound source.

D

Deleted member 14196

No. The Schiit Audio Fulla USB DAC does exactly what you want for $99

It mutes the rear powered speakers when you plug in headphones in the front

It’s a pretty good amp to because I have one and it performs very well

Reactions: Lil’bertz