Commendable
Dec 19, 2019
My friend asked a PC store to build him a PC, and got the following specs:
-CPU: Intel i7-9700F
-Motherboard: Asus PRIME H310M-K R2.0
-RAM: some cheap Kingston 1x8GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
-GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB DUAL OC
-Storage: Sandisk SSD plus 480GB

I feel like he can do better, either get a cheaper PC with same results, or make it better at the same price of those 5 components. What would you do with the same budget as the budget of the 5 components listed above? I was thinking to change it to AMD but I don't know which one is equivalent to the i7-9700F. And with the money saved get better RAM / Storage / GPU

Last edited:
Solution
Just comparing those 5 components only(!), this should beat the pants off the above list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($228.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $638.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-29 12:45 EST-0500

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just comparing those 5 components only(!), this should beat the pants off the above list:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($228.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $638.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-29 12:45 EST-0500

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That PC store must suck. That motherboard is a very poor choice, with such a weak VRM setup it's going to have problems powering a 9700.

It would be difficult to make that judgement call without knowing what was related as budget and use case to the store rep.
Aside from "recommended products" that the store is possibly going to make more money on the individual is likely just parroting some parts that fit budget at a certain level of expected reliability as opposed to top performance.
At one spot or another in building a sub $700 some corner in some way is going to have to be cut. In this case the guy also asked the store to build said PC and I am sure that got a pretty high price tag of it's own.

If this computer was spec'ed for light productivity and gaming 1080p/60fps it's likely that the end user would note absolutely zero seat of the pants difference simply due to not knowing "better" or having the monitor (etc.) to experience the difference anyway.

Reactions: ligonsker

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The GPU is much better! Wow! So you say half-priced AMD CPU is the same as the i7-9700F?!

This is rather THE topic of the past couple of years. Intel is on a LONG toothed refresh of 14nm tech. In essence everything they have produced for the last few years have been refinements of the same old same old.
When Ryzen came out it offered price to performance that cannot be ignored in relation to Intel for price and particularly core count.

Intels Core series are still very good and capable equipment. By and large the drawback to the average user is price related, even ignoring the core/thread disparity. In this above part comparison alone you can see where just changing over to Ryzen made a better GPU available, two sticks of better RAM, and with change left over.

Value, feature, and price are in AMD's corner right now.

ligonsker

Commendable
Dec 19, 2019
Wow thank you guys! Just what I thought: The seller at the store saw that my friend doesn't have a clue in computers and just shoved him with all the stuff they want to get rid of at a high price. Gonna tell him about that. Also with the budget left I could actually get a Samsung 860 Evo instead of the lame SanDisk SSD Plus (I own both, and the SanDisk is just BAD)

It would be difficult to make that judgement call without knowing what was related as budget and use case to the store rep.
Aside from "recommended products" that the store is possibly going to make more money on the individual is likely just parroting some parts that fit budget at a certain level of expected reliability as opposed to top performance.
At one spot or another in building a sub $700 some corner in some way is going to have to be cut. In this case the guy also asked the store to build said PC and I am sure that got a pretty high price tag of it's own.

If this computer was spec'ed for light productivity and gaming 1080p/60fps it's likely that the end user would note absolutely zero seat of the pants difference simply due to not knowing "better" or having the monitor (etc.) to experience the difference anyway.

exactly, they probably saw there that my friend is just a regular 1080p user that plays on low-end games and won't even notice. I bet that for his games he could get a much cheaper PC. What makes me angry is the quality of the products they use. The cheapest slowest single channel ram and that shitty SSD. Also the cheap mobo... with that i7.. it's a good reason to tell him to cancel that and buy from another store right? I don't like businesses like that

Just last thing: The i7-9700F is slightly better on paper or that's not true? Anyway I'm not sure it's that much of a difference to feel it in real life situations

**This is the current build including case and PSU, after changing a few components that are available where I live:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)
Case: Antec NX310 ATX Mid Tower Case ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair VS 450 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $849.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-01 01:41 EST-0500

Would you change something? I knew the PSU isn't the best.. but it should be enough for this build right?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just last thing: The i7-9700F is slightly better on paper or that's not true? Anyway I'm not sure it's that much of a difference to feel it in real life situations
It's like 1-2% faster than a Ryzen 3600, WITH a proper dual channel kit, of course.

Would you change something?
1)Motherboard: If you are unable to get the vendor to update the bios on that particular motherboard before sending it to you, it will not boot with the Ryzen 3600.
The following are going to be the most affordable hassle-free options. Anything else would likely not work and force you to return it.
-Msi's B450 MAX range

-Other Msi B450s that support USB bios flashback - no cpu needed to update:
The non-MAX versions of those same B450 boards, Mortar Titanium, Bazooka Plus, Gaming Pro Carbon AC, and Gaming Plus

-Asrock B450M/AC - out of the box support

2)Storage: Samsung's the pricey stuff. Check availability and pricing for:
-Intel 660P
-Crucial MX500
-Western Digital Blue
-Samsung 860 QVO

3)Maybe, just maybe, you'll shave off enough to put towards a better power supply, like a Corsair CX450/550.
Those VS models are intended for steady, low power, home/office PCs that aren't equipped with gaming graphics cards.

Reactions: ligonsker