Question How To Make Two Routers Work Together

Jan 14, 2023
Hello,

Networking newbie here

We have Google Fiber and I have a TP-Link Router connected to it via ethernet to "extend" its range

The networks obviously have different names, and I don't think they are able to "hand off" to each other

Occasionally, in order to use a particular device from another device, ie to print from a laptop, I have to join the same network as the printer from my laptop

Is there a way for those two networks to automatically communicate with each other seamlesslessly?

Thanks

Run the tplink router as a AP it should have that option.

You can then if you want set the SSID the same or different. If you make them the same the end devices will make a attempt to switch but they are not always smart and will many times stay connected to the wrong signal. If you set them different you the person can control where everything is connected and when they switch.

Jan 14, 2023
Thanks bill001g

It appears I was able to successfully configure the TP-Link router as an AP

I just selected that option in the setup, and it restarted

What, exactly, did I just do, LOL?

Will the TP-Link router and the Google Fiber host router now communicate between each other seamlessly?

Thanks

Jan 14, 2023
That "extension cord" analogy makes sense, but will the routers both operate as one, seamlessly? Ie will devices switch between them automatically and will a device that is connect to one router be able to operate a device that is connected to the other router?

Take my printing example above Will my laptop that is connected to TP-Link be able to print to a printer that is connected to the Google Fiber Host router with no intervention?

Thanks