[SOLVED] How to make windows 10 start faster

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
In some people's PCs I've seen that their windows 10 boots without showing the windows logo. It just goes from manufacturer's logo to the login screen.
How do I make my windows start that fast? I have a 240 GB ADATA SU 630 SSD installed with 170 GB free. I've installed windows on this drive. I did try turning on Intel rapid start and fast boot, but they don't make a difference. I've also turned all start up programs off.

My specs:
Core i5 3470
GTX 1650
12 GB RAM 1600 MHZ
Zebronics H61

Solution
In some people's PCs I've seen that their windows 10 boots without showing the windows logo. It just goes from manufacturer's logo to the login screen.
Take this with a grain of salt because a lot of modern systems have replaced the Windows logo you're probably used to seeing with the manufacturer's logo. You can still see the loading spinner.

How do I make my windows start that fast? I have a 240 GB ADATA SU 630 SSD installed with 170 GB free. I've installed windows on this drive. I did try turning on Intel rapid start and fast boot, but they don't make a difference. I've also turned all start up programs off.
A thing of note is PCs from system builders like Dell, HP, etc. will always have an advantage over people who...
You might want to consider using a PCI-E based SATA drive instead of regular SATA drive.

For example, use a NVME card as boot drive.

But I don't really know whether it's worth the time and money to save a couple of seconds at Windows startup.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I see the bios logo then logon screen, I only see windows screens during version updates. maybe.

It guess it depends how often you restart as to how much it matters.

getting older boards to boot off nvme is hit and miss. need to check if it actually works before buying one.

If you don't know answer to this question, then it means yes - Do you have fast startup turned on?
it likely wouldn't help much on an ssd but maybe. Its on by default in win 10.

intel fast boot just helps bios part, not the loading windows part.

My specs:
Core i5 3470
GTX 1650
12 GB RAM 1600 MHZ
Zebronics H61
Just what I see.
I press the power button, then I see a bios screen, then I see a sign in screen and then I'm at the desktop.
From power on to the desktop is 10-11 secs.
How long does it take you?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Download this to some folder.
PC Benchmark
Reboot and let the machine sit for 5 mins.
Run the benchmark and post a link to the results page.
It was because of me using legacy mode. The second I switched it to UEFI (After converting my disk to GPT), the PC booted up in no time. There was no windows logo, only the manufacturer's logo and then the logon screen.

Take this with a grain of salt because a lot of modern systems have replaced the Windows logo you're probably used to seeing with the manufacturer's logo. You can still see the loading spinner.

A thing of note is PCs from system builders like Dell, HP, etc. will always have an advantage over people who build their own computers. In the case of say laptops, there's not much hardware to initialize so they shave off time there. Even with desktops, they can still fine tune the firmware for a particular configuration.

Also Fast Boot only kicks in if you shut down the computer. If you perform a reboot, Fast Boot doesn't get used. Intel Rapid Start was meant supplement the performance of HDD based systems with an SSD. So this feature is useless to you.

In any case, what's your boot time? If it's around 20 seconds, I would argue for self-built computers, this is about as good as you'll get. If you want to save power by shutting down the computer when you're not using it but want fast boot times, I suggest instead putting the computer to sleep. You still get greatly reduced power (sleep consumes maybe around 3-5W on its own) but "instant" boot up times.

Solution

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020

A thing of note is PCs from system builders like Dell, HP, etc. will always have an advantage over people who build their own computers. In the case of say laptops, there's not much hardware to initialize so they shave off time there. Even with desktops, they can still fine tune the firmware for a particular configuration.

Also Fast Boot only kicks in if you shut down the computer. If you perform a reboot, Fast Boot doesn't get used. Intel Rapid Start was meant supplement the performance of HDD based systems with an SSD. So this feature is useless to you.

In any case, what's your boot time? If it's around 20 seconds, I would argue for self-built computers, this is about as good as you'll get. If you want to save power by shutting down the computer when you're not using it but want fast boot times, I suggest instead putting the computer to sleep. You still get greatly reduced power (sleep consumes maybe around 3-5W on its own) but "instant" boot up times.
No sir, the computer boots up without the windows logo after I Put it on UEFI and converted the system partition to GPT.

UEFI is really faster than Legacy BIOS.

Legacy used to take around 15 seconds, but UEFI takes like 8 seconds.