How to make your own HDMI to HDMI + Audio cable ?

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017
Hey, so I've got a PS3 which I want to hook up with a PC monitor which has VGA input, I've looked around and found out that VGA won't carry sound.
I've got an HDMI to VGA adapter, so I'm wondering if it's possible to mess around with that adapter which is sort of cable actually, if it's possible to find which data line in the HDMI side is responsible of the audio... just to cut it off and wire it with a separate audio jack output
I'm using this adapter : https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Adapter-Support/dp/B008O7RH5C

Solution
Buy a new adaptor. The audio being sent over HDMI would be digital, so even if there was a dedicated audio conductor in there that you could get at, you'd still need a DAC to convert it to an analog signal to connect a 3.5mm jack to (which I'm assuming is what you want to do).

Your adapter has audio jack in the back. Just connect audio cable there.
718eDfej8AL._SL1500_.jpg

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

Sadly it doesn't have any audio output, that's why I'm planning to seperate sound output out of the cable itself...

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

I used to until my little baby brother filled the port with dirt that prevented any more connections to the jack

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Buy a new adaptor. The audio being sent over HDMI would be digital, so even if there was a dedicated audio conductor in there that you could get at, you'd still need a DAC to convert it to an analog signal to connect a 3.5mm jack to (which I'm assuming is what you want to do).

Solution