Question how to migrate one drive to another?

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Gpu: gigabyte 2060
cpu: ryzen 7 2700x
psu: corsair TX650M 80 plus gold 2 years old
RAM: 32gb gskill ddr4 3200mhz
HDD: 4tb WD blue
motherboard: ROG Strix x370-f gaming
Case: coolermaster H-500
monitor:AOC CQ32G1 32"

so I got a 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD and I would like to take everything that I have on my 250GB OS SATA ssd WD Blue except windows and put it on either my 4TB WD Blue HDD or my 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD.
How and What would be the best way to that?

thanks Muddy.

Lutfij

Titan
Is this platform primarily for gaming? The larger M.2 SSD is meant to be a game library drive? If so, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. After you've verified that your BIOS is successfully updated, disconnect from the wall and display, clear the CMOS and then drop in the M.2 drive into the slot, power up, then migrate any and or all data off of the SATA SSD onto the HDD, since you're not migrating the OS, a simple copy/paste will do.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Is this platform primarily for gaming? The larger M.2 SSD is meant to be a game library drive? If so, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. After you've verified that your BIOS is successfully updated, disconnect from the wall and display, clear the CMOS and then drop in the M.2 drive into the slot, power up, then migrate any and or all data off of the SATA SSD onto the HDD, since you're not migrating the OS, a simple copy/paste will do.

Is this platform primarily for gaming? Yes

The larger M.2 SSD is meant to be a game library drive? yes and no, i would like to put the game library and just some other programs on to it. (steam/divinci resolve/web browser's stuff like that)

thanks for the reply.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Everything but Windows?

Does that mean personal data only, such as pictures or mp3s or movies?

Or does that mean installed applications, such as Photoshop or Microsoft Word?
when I say everything, I mean everything, so personal data pics/music/movies AND installed applications like steam/divinci resolve/web browser's, everything.

thanks for the reply.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
More details needed.

What, exactly, is on the current OS drive?
to write out "exactly" what's on the drive could almost be an impossible task, as one it would be way too long to list everything, and second its gotten a little messy over the years I couldn't even tell you what is what.
but in a general sense just regular programs like steam/divinci resolve/ web browsers/ maybe one or two games.

thanks for the reply.

when I say everything, I mean everything, so personal data pics/music/movies AND installed applications like steam/divinci resolve/web browser's, everything.

thanks for the reply.

You can certainly move everything including Windows.

I think you will have trouble moving everything excluding Windows.

The problem being you want to exclude Windows but include installed applications.

Gpu: gigabyte 2060
cpu: ryzen 7 2700x
psu: corsair TX650M 80 plus gold 2 years old
RAM: 32gb gskill ddr4 3200mhz
HDD: 4tb WD blue
motherboard: ROG Strix x370-f gaming
Case: coolermaster H-500
monitor:AOC CQ32G1 32"

so I got a 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD and I would like to take everything that I have on my 250GB OS SATA ssd WD Blue except windows and put it on either my 4TB WD Blue HDD or my 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD.
How and What would be the best way to that?

thanks Muddy.
Many folks will put the OS and apps on one disk and then use a second disk for everything else.

That may not fit your needs.

My suggestion is to first use the samsung ssd migration app to move your 250gb ssd to the new samsung 2tb m.2 ssd.
App and instructions here:

You can later repurpose the 250gb ssd as you wish.
If you want to later rearrange things, then simply cut/paste folders.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
My suggestion is to first use the samsung ssd migration app to move your 250gb ssd to the new samsung 2tb m.2 ssd.
App and instructions here:

You can later repurpose the 250gb ssd as you wish.
If you want to later rearrange things, then simply cut/paste folders.
I dont think this would work as the drive im tryting to migrate from is a wd blue sata ssd, and the software you linked is only for samsung drives, but thanks any way.

I dont think this would work as the drive im tryting to migrate from is a wd blue sata ssd, and the software you linked is only for samsung drives, but thanks any way.
Yes, the app works with any ssd or HDD as a source, the key is that the TARGET is a samsung ssd.
It is a windows C drive mover, not a clone app.
The link will get you to a pdf of the instructions and drives supported.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, the app works with any ssd or HDD as a source, the key is that the TARGET is a samsung ssd.
It is a windows C drive mover, not a clone app.
The link will get you to a pdf of the instructions and drives supported.
This is sort of irrelevant, because what he wants to do cannot be done.
With either SDM or Macrium.

He is looking to split out Windows from all the installed applications.
Can't do that.

From the initial description, the OP seems to want to keep only windows on the 250gb ssd.
As noted, that can not be done, or at least not easily.
What I offered is a solution that just abandons the 240gb ssd and puts all on the 2tb ssd replacement; a very easy process.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
sorry for the late reply its been real busy here, thank you for all of the reply's I really appreciate it.
I've been asking around with some friends/co-workers where some said you could do what I'm ask for and some saying you cant, after look at your responses I guess you cant do what I thought you could,
I think ill just keep most of the stuff on my C: drive (which is the drive the OS is on) and just move what I can manually.
Again thank you all so much for the reply's I really appreciate it, Thank you Muddy.