Question How to migrate ONLY Windows 10 from HDD to SSD?

Apr 26, 2019
I am currently using a 1TB HDD for all of my storage. I want to move ONLY Windows 10 over to my SSD to use it as a boot drive. I would like to use my HDD as a storage drive from now on, though I need help figuring out how to move my OS from my HDD to my 128GB SSD without error.
If there is enough space after the fact, I'll migrate a couple games over to the SSD as well. My HDD is currently at roughly 850GB used, so any help migrating only my OS over would be greatly appreciated! I have already initialized my SSD, and downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup Free. Thanks!

Can't move just windows to smaller disk if original disk isn't partitioned to less than capacity of smaller one. Even then there could be problems with space. How's your HDD partitioned ? Can you post a picture of your Disk management ?
In addition you would have to set SATA as AHCI instead of IDE for proper SSD operation so even if you succeeded, windows won't work.

Reactions: RealDevPol
Apr 26, 2019
Can't move just windows to smaller disk if original disk isn't partitioned to less than capacity of smaller one. Even then there could be problems with space. How's your HDD partitioned ? Can you post a picture of your Disk management ?
In addition you would have to set SATA as AHCI instead of IDE for proper SSD operation so even if you succeeded, windows won't work.
That's a shame, sounds like I need to spring for a 1TB SSD instead. Thank you for letting me know it's not possible!
Here is a picture of my partitions for both my HDD and SSD- View: https://imgur.com/GfhMt1E

DSzymborski

Titan
It may make more sense to just reinstall Windows. Windows doesn't keep itself in such a pristine state that if it's been more than a year, you wouldn't benefit from just doing a fresh install.

If your system is organized in a way that a reinstall would be awkward, it would be a good opportunity to remedy the situation. Fresh installs can be a useful part of diagnosing a problem, so it makes sense to get comfortable reinstalling Windows when everything's working rather than when everything's not.

That's a shame, sounds like I need to spring for a 1TB SSD instead. Thank you for letting me know it's not possible!
Here is a picture of my partitions for both my HDD and SSD- View: https://imgur.com/GfhMt1E
It's theoretically possible but that would involve much partitioning and file/program moving that it's not practical at all.
Clean install is best way. If you had Microsoft account and enable sync options (it's default anyway) it will sync some of your settings and options same as it was.

Apr 26, 2019
It's theoretically possible but that would involve much partitioning and file/program moving that it's not practical at all.
Clean install is best way. If you had Microsoft account and enable sync options (it's default anyway) it will sync some of your settings and options same as it was.
Thank you for the help!